Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tuesday

Well all kinds of things are happening here in cool North Carolina. It was in the 50's this morning and just a beautiful day until late afternoon when the clouds rolled in and a light rain fell. The morning started out with getting of bed at 6 so we could make and 8:30 doctor's appointment in Sparta. After a lite breakfast of leftover buckwheat cakes with a little fruit on top and our quiet times we got ready and headed out.

I'm really glad that Nancy persisted on me seeing a doctor for this left leg of mine as the swelling seemed to increase in the ankle and calf area as well as some redness and the dull ache just wouldn't go away. Maybe by now after reading the symptoms on Wed MD I was beginning to believe there was the possibility I may have a blood clot in my leg. The doctor took one look and felt of my calf and immediately sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound test and sure enough the technician confirmed there was a clot(s) below my knee. So I headed back over to the doctors office for a shot which I had the choice of hospitalization or Nancy administering the shot(s) twice a day into the belly fat. The drug was Heparin and later I was given a prescription for Coumadin. The doctor insisted he administer a full exam and blood workup tomorrow so I'm fasting till mid morning tomorrow.

I was at a loss as why or how I could get a clot in my leg and I do remember my first week back on the pickle ball courts to whacking myself in the leg with the paddle. Never would I have imagined that could have damaged a blood vessel but apparently it was enough to start the process. I over did a couple workouts on the elliptical as well as 2 full hours of play plus a swim all in the same day. I guess its time to act my age and be gentle on this body with regard to physical activity.

Doctor K reminded me there are about 150,000 folks who die from blood clots every year so he got my attention and just reinforced Nancy's diagnosis, (boy is that tough to live with) who all along said I should have it checked for a blood clot. Well she is doing a good job with her needling of me,(pun intented). I have noticed the ankle swelling has decreased but the leg ache is still there and the calf muscle is still large. It may take days or even weeks to regulate the proper amount of coumadin for my body and this will being my first prescription may last from 3-6 months, YUCK its rat poison I've heard. At least its reasonable whereas the Heparin is outrageously expensive at 250 bucks a shot, Oh well!!

Well its time for bed and there is a soft rain falling on the tin roof. Well thanks to all who held me up in their thought and prayers, LATER.

No comments: