Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday

Well here it is with tomorrow being 2 weeks since we left Florida, yikes where did the time go since we made it to the mountains. This morning was just an awesome morning with temps in the low 60's and such stillness as I awakened and rolled out of the sack at 6:30. I use to sleep in here until 8 plus but now I find the early morning hours to be the most rewarding and of course I can get lots more accomplished with this extra hour and half. This morning instead of the usual oatmeal we decided on a "mountain breakfast" of buckwheat cakes with fresh blueberries in the batter, fried smoked ham and a couple cackleberries(eggs) of course I slathered my cakes with Amish butter and honey, Yeow was that ever good and it held off hunger until 5 when Nancy decide it was time to start frying the yellow squash for supper.

After the hearty breakfast I needed to check out out my dehumidifier as it started making a real loud noise with the fan. After taking it apart I learned the armateur in the fan motor had started to burn up so I ordered a new fan motor and it should be here in 3-5 days via UPS. I then decided it would be a good morning to bleach the mildew from both porches that had accumulated over the winter, that took a couple hours. After bleaching the porches we took off on our first hike of the day to the top of the mountain. The area that was so clear yesterday was quite hazy today as the humidity has really increased the past 24 hours. Tomorrow they(weatherman) is calling for highs only into the 60's as a cold front is supposed to move through the area tonight. That was one reason I decided to mow the yard today as its been 10 days since I last mowed and weed whacked. The yard looks so nice after it manicure and I noticed lots of new growth on most of my seedlings I set out last week plus the potato I planted 9 days ago are breaking ground. I'm really having a tough time to get lettuce to grow here for some reason as all of the 12 hills I set out 2 days ago are gone, not sure if its a cut worm or what but I have one seedling left of romaine. I think I will keep the Bibb lettuce in pots until it really gets big. I now have beets, radishes and sugar peas breaking ground as well. The Swiss chard and kale I brought from Florida as seedlings are doing quite well with each having lots of new growth.

Getting back to tonight's supper I picked fresh dill, cilantro, oregano, basil and thyme to put on our fried squash. Nancy slices the squash and dips it in egg then into corn flake crumbs and fries it in Smart Balance oil, after crisping both sides she places the squash on a paper towel then adds a little ground red pepper, black pepper and salt. I then slice up a fresh jalapeno and add it to the squash with different herbs. We made a meal on the fried squash and a salad; so tonight was a meatless meal and oh so good. Zucchini works just as good and egg plant is even better.

Well we took an evening hike to the top once again around 7 and it was just a fantastic climb; we both made it to the back road without stopping and for Nancy that was the first time this year. We are finally starting to get our mountain legs. When we got back to the cabin we decided to take a golf cart ride over to visit Ray and Audean. They are losing their cabin the first week in June as its being foreclosed on and are in the process of packing and moving their personal effects. We are deeply saddened to see them have to leave their cabin. Oh well!!!

Well will get out of here for now missing our kids and grand babies, LATER

No comments: