Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thursday

Where did this week go?? This morning it was just barely 50 and Nancy had on the winter clothes and the oven on for heat, me I found it refreshing however, I did put on a long sleeve shirt until about 10 AM. After our usual quiet time, cup of tea(Nancy drinks java) I had my bowl of oatmeal but for some reason it not boring here, maybe it because I'm looking into the woods looking for some critter. Anyhow I was outside by 8 and starting on the morning routine of checking the gardens for deer damage and now cutworm damage. The little buggers got a beautiful cilantro plant that came up from last year, at least I have one more for now.

I worked on the riding mower sharpening both blades and then got the weed whacker out and once again went over the whole area. Nancy washed and hung 2 loads of laundry on the line and oh what a beautiful day for having clothes drying outside on the line. Just seeing that makes for a real down home feeling almost like comfort food. We took off around 11 for our first morning walk. Nancy had on a sweat shirt but as we headed up the back trail that runs through our property she quickly discarded it, leaving it hanging on a tree. We made the top after several stops and soon realized pickle ball and the dreadmill are nothing compared to just hiking up that steep mountain, but the beauty of the surroundings is priceless and well worth the pain we both incurred. We ran into Fred one of the year round residents on top and he was telling us about the winter storms with the snow, ice and wind. We had a great walk and we were both hungry by the time we got back to the cabin around 12:30. Nancy made a great salad and we finished the last of the Zuppa soup.

After lunch I worked in the garden and yard while Nancy jumped into the golf cart for a ride to the mailbox. I got my chainsaw ready to head over to Helen's place tomorrow morning as she has several trees that are down and need sawing up. It was close to 5 so we put a couple thyme coated pork chops on the grill and Nancy boiled up some new potato's and 1/2 runner beans that I had brought from garden in Florida, Yumm was that ever good eatin'. After supper I worked outside fertilizing the blueberry bushes and peonies while Nancy cleaned up. We then took our second hike of the day; up the steep trail but once we were half way to the top we took a different route. Really we just went in reverse from what we went this morning. We ran into Norman, an 83 years young retired Marine who is quite a character. He seemed very happy to see us again after 6 months. We had a nice visit then headed on back down to the cabin. I got a huge bon fire going so I could burn trash, here everything is either burned or carried out to the land field. Well it was nearly pitch black when I came in from outside. Today has to be one of the nicest all around weather days we have had since we've been here.

Well I will sign off until LATER.

No comments: