Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday

Well it has been once busy day that started early for me because I couldn't sleep thinking about all I wanted to accomplish today, plus Nancy Jean was snoring. At 5 AM I decided to do my quiet time and by 6 Am I had eaten a bowl of oatmeal, checked all the messages on my e-mail and face book as well as checked the news. Andy Dalton was coming by at 8 so I wanted to be ready for him; get the ladder out of the shed and carry it up the hill and lean it against the roof so he could make an assessment to what may be entailed in fixing the roof. I also called my old friend Walt,who wired and plumbed the cabin about 15 years ago. I wanted his opinion on doing away with the outside vent stack and use a stack that is used inside the structure. I don't want to have to worry about this scene happening again, especially when we are so far away.

Andy decide one sheet of replacement tin should to the job, luckily I kept a few scraps from the original roof job so we could match up the paint color. He is picking up the 14 foot piece of roofing on Monday and we hope to get in done that evening. I'll go to Lowes in Galax, Va Monday morning and get what we need to do the vent stack. After Andy left it was a non stop day; picked up several loads of sticks from the yards as I wanted to mow as soon as the grass dried, weed whacked, dug up the gardens(by hand with a grubbing hoe) and transplanted Swiss Chard, kale, 1/2 runner beans, and 4 kinds of tomato's. I also planted sugar peas, onion sets, yellow squash, Zucchini, water cress, sun flower's, and cucumbers. All of these gardens were dug by hand and the weeds were extracted and piled up to be used for mulch later. Just after lunch I put batteries in mower and golf and they cranked on the first try.

Well the grass was knee high in many areas and it required me to mow the same area twice. There was so much grass that Nancy had a full golf cart in no time after raking. I then weed whacked for another hour after mowing for nearly 2 hours. We just did a quick and easy supper with a fresh salad and a microwaved potato. Andy reminded us he fixing a couple deer hams and some pork ribs for a get together tomorrow evening with our small group. He said "show up hungry." Well we dodged the gully washer this evening although there was a light rain with lots of thunder and lightening. I have some marigold seedling I need to get in the ground but they will have to wait 'til later. My muscles and legs are feeling the effects of hand tillings the garden and walking up and down this property. LATER (I posted some pics on Facebook if your interested. Will try to catch up on some pics at another time.

No comments: