Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday

Well the day started out with me being awake before 6:30 and what a morning it turned out to be. After our quiet times I had a bowl of oatmeal with a banana before heading out to check on the gardens. There was no deer damage but either a cut worn or some critter is getting through the fence to eat everyone of my new lettuce seedlings. Oh well!! I now have most of the newly planted potato's up along with the 16 hills that I planted last Nov. Should make for some good eatin' here in a couple months; creamed new potato's, Ahhh!! I had promised Norman, an older guy(83) with a disabled wife at the top of mountain I would come by this morning and run the rotor tiller for him in his garden and then help him get his seeds and plants into the ground, meanwhile I was catching up on some chores while waiting for Norman to get his wife situated. I sawed up the hickory limbs in smoker size pieces and cleaned my grill. I'm ready to do some ribs over a good hickory smoke. Youngest sister, Dee is heading our way with her family next week so maybe I will get to use some of the wood.

Nancy and I headed out a little after 10 walking up to the top of the mountain and we both made the trail through our woods without stopping. Norman was just finishing up with Betty his wife so we could now get to work in his garden. I had a total wet shirt in no time as the garden is on the side of a hill and just loaded with rocks, believe me the tiller was a workout. I layed off 8 rows for him and picked up buckets of rocks and by 12:30 I was finished. Sure felt good to help out someone in need and he was sure appreciative. I love to hear him tell his stories of life.

Nancy came by in the golf cart to give me a ride home so we saw neighbor Ray on the way back down to our place. He is losing his cabin through foreclosure next month and in addition has some serious health issues. I noticed his yard needed mowing and learned he didn't have a mower so after we got home and I had a sandwich I headed back over to his place with my riding mower. Well it took me over 2 hours to mow this thick lawn and by the time I got back it was after 4 PM. Sure felt good once again to help out someone in need. I'm paying for that tiller use tonight as I think I aggravated an old left shoulder blade injury. Nancy had to give me an ultrasound treatment after my shower.

After a supper of pasta and salad we got ready to do the mountain top hike once again and what a beautiful time of the evening it was as the skies had clouded up with a nice breeze. After the hike I fertilized both the front and back yards while Nancy watered some of her new flowers. The TV was calling for severe weather with flash floods but we were spared and got nary a drop although we heard some rumbling in the distance. Well its been a full day helping out with others needs and tomorrow we have committed to help with a fund raiser for our youth who want to go to Miami this summer to help out at an orphanage.

We both spoke with our grand daughters, Ava and Annsley this morning and of course their parents. LATER

No comments: