Sunday, December 20, 2009

Saturday on Sunday Morning

Finally cooled off enough to turn the a/c off and open a window for some fresh air. The rain and wind subsided completely by Saturday. Yikes, is it ever nice out with bright sunshine. We had a ton of northern and mountain friends sending us lots of snow scenes. Marvelous is all I can say!! I'm very ambivalent about the whole snow thing; sledding sounds great but digging out to get in and out of your house and lane is not to appealing. Oh well I can enjoy it through all of your pics and the pics on Raysweather.com. Check out that website it has great info plus web cams for the area and pics of the day everyday of somewhere in N.C..

After our quiet times and bologna boats(fried bologna and eggs on top) for breakfast I headed out to check on the garden.Once again the yard was covered with dead sticks and limbs from the oak trees. I loosened up the soil around the veggies and help start some of the bean runners for the poles. Growing up we always let the runners grow along the ground and it was always a back breaking job to pick beans(harvest) and I never enjoyed it however; I saw an old farmer in N.C. had staked his 1/2 runners one year so I tried it and wouldn't you know those bean plants grew over 12 feet high. I had to stand on a bucket to reach the top beans and they would have grown even higher with taller poles. Well now that's what I call breaking from the past and how you always did things and trying something new. Isn't it true we are creatures of habit or that's the way we always did it growing up. Plus now I can stand up while picking and I truly believe the plants produce more bean. By the way if you have never eaten a 1/2 runner green bean ask the old timers about their taste. None any better and its an old time bean.

Well now that I've completely bored you with how to grow beans, something so mundane I thought would really bore you with the rest of the day. After lunch Ava came by with her mom and dad and she opened her presents from Annsley plus they brought an old Cracker Barrel rocking chair that needs a little refurbishing; sanding and painting. They saw that I needed a little something to do; actually I fine that is something I really enjoy. I was always finding broken furniture in need of repair and remodeling it. You know the old saying "one person's garbage is another man's treasure." After the kids left Nancy and I headed out for a brisk 45 minute walk through the 'hood. Nothing like the back trail that leads to the top of the mountain, but it served its purpose with getting the blood to moving. Nancy had on a light jacket but I was in a tee shirt and shorts. Ahhhh!!

Last night we headed over to a neighbor folks place for a get together. Debbie and Jim(John and Melinda's folks) had all kinds of finger foods and goodies. We sat around a fire in their back yard, played a little pool and just visited with friends and met some new folks as well. Thanks guys for setting such a lavish table with lots of eats and for allowing us to be apart.

Well its nearly time to get ready to head out to Tampa for worship at Element. I understand the weather was so bad in the mountains that church services at Cornerstone were cancelled this morning. Keeping all of ya'll in our thoughts and prayers. After church this evening we are having our Christmas and dinner for Amy, Tyler and Ava as they fly out to Kansas early on Monday morning to spend the rest of the holidays with his folks and family. I know they are excited and we are excited for them. Rob and Cindy(Tyler's folks) will be so surprised at Ava 's level of maturity. She is so much fun and just so dang cute!!

Well better get ready for worship.I will post pics of this evening get together. LATER.

No comments: