Sunday, December 6, 2009

Saturday and Sunday on Sunday Night






















Well I'm sure for those of you who read my ramblings you have no doubt surmised that I had Internet access problems starting Saturday morning until around 5 PM today(Sunday).

Saturday morning found us drying out from a ton of rain, wind and falling temps. I don't believe it got much over 65 and with the steady breeze it actually felt colder. Nancy took off to run some errands after our quiet times an a hearty breakfast of buckwheat cakes with a banana in the batter and some fresh blueberries. I lathered mine with Smart Balance(all finished with the Amish Butter until next year)and honey. Wow were they ever good and they lasted(stuck to our ribs) us until dinner time.
I managed to loosen up the compacted soil around most of my garden plants as the heavy rains really packs the soil around the plant roots as well as bend the younger seedlings over and down into the soil. After the garden work I checked on a couple college football games and watched Pitt lose to Cincinnati in a close game and with cold temps and snow falling. Yikes I remember those days of playing football on cold hard packed fields in northern Virginia. Believe me it was not much fun as I recall. I played 5 years and was a starting guard the last couple years as well as a defensive end. There is nothing more painful than jammed fingers on cold helmets. When your young and full of it you just ignore the pain, especially when there's pretty girls in the stands. Those were the days when our skulls were full of mush!!!

Saturday evening we were having another roast turkey dinner with smashed 'taters and gravy, stuffing both dry and wet(inside the bird), candied yams with G/G's special sauce of brown sugar, triple set and a little bourbon, GAB's frozen cranberry salad and corn. Wow was that ever good eatin'. For dessert Amy made a pumpkin pie as well as Nancy made a pecan pie. I passed on the pie's until breakfast this AM and ate the last piece of pecan before we headed out to Tampa to Element Church.

We picked up Pap and GG and took them for their first visit to the warehouse(Element) to hear Bobby play and sing as well as teach. They were quite impressed but did mention the drums were a little loud. After the service we got back into Pinellas County just about lunch time so we stopped and ate at Cracker Barrel. Wow was that place ever jumping. We had to wait about 15 minutes but it was well worth the wait and the food cost was reasonable. Each of us had a different entree from meat loaf, trout, fried chicken and chicken & dumplings. Yummy and were we ever stuffed. I ran into an FHP dispatcher(actually she now works there and spotted me), Charlotte who I hadn't seen in 20 + years. She left our county and moved to the Orlando area but has recently moved back. We shared about our children and grand children. We also ran into Nancy's hairdresser, Mary who we hadn't seen since last May. It was like old home week.

Well after dropping Nancy's folks off at home we headed over to the nursing home where a couple times a month we team up with neighbor Dan and some folks from SFBC to hold a short church service for the patients. We push them to the service where we sing a few hymns and present a short message and just spend a few moments with many who have out lived their families.

Well I headed back to the house and watched a little of the Panthers whup up on the Bucs, of course our rookie quarterback threw 5 intersections down near the goal line so that didn't help our 1-11 record. I know my N.C. friends can feel my pain. It looks like the Saints will represent our division which includes the Bucs, Panthers and Falcons into the playoffs. I'm happy for them as I remember at one time their fans were so ashamed of their play they wore paper sacks over their heads in disgust. Such is the life of sports players; someone has to lose.

Nancy was busy in the kitchen after getting home making a dinner for one of our neighbors and fellow church goers who gave birth to a beautiful little boy on Thursday morning. Mason Christian is his name and at 8 pounds plus he has a full head of black hair. Congratulations Lucy and Marco!!!

Well I will close for now and enclose a few pics(to answer a complaint of not enough images). These snow pictues are of our cabin in N.C. that were sent to us today by neighbor Gerald who I understand was deer hunting up there this weekend. Thanks Gerald for sending us those beautiful pics. BRRR it looks cold there!!!LATER.

No comments: