Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday Morning

Well Tuesday was another warm day with some high clouds but lots of sunshine. I found some color in the new row of beet seeds I sowed last week. I'm hoping these with get big enough so I can dig them up and transplant them in my summer garden at the cabin. Beets don't transplant at the early stage very well but once the tops get big enough to eat the greens they usually transplant very well.

The morning started out much the usual with the dueling roosters around 5:30 hopefully I won't have them right outside my bedroom much longer as the neighbors are supposedly moving a couple houses down. After my quiet time and a lite breakfast I pedalled out to the rec for a couple hours of pickle ball. We had a good crowd with 3 new players all whom play PB in their home state of Pa and they are good players and fun to play with and against. We had lots of wet shirts today.

I headed home to water the garden then make another run to Home Depot and finally to Ace hardware for a length of threaded galvanized pipe as I wanted to replace my well pipe that had rusted through which was causing me to lose my prime. That kept me busy to lunch time when Amy and Sam brought GG for lunch. We finished up the huge salad then the gals headed out to watch Sam play in the dirt and with the chickens through the fence. He once again needed a bath before being allowed in his mom's car. I'm told I was just like him at that early age as well.

Nancy took off with her mom shopping and then to Sam's Club for petrol; it's down to 3.51 a gallon here but we saw it last week for 3.45 up near Homosassa last week end. Maybe it will continue to come down as summer nears as we will be traveling first to Miami in May then to N.C. in June.

 I picked a couple egg plants and I wanted to try a new way of preparing them. These egg plant are skinny, dark purple and not real big around; but I read where if after slicing to 1/4 inch thickness, sprinkle salt on both sides and let them set for about 15-20 minutes on both sides, then scrape the salt off and rinse if necessary, pat them dry, then I grilled for 15 minute or so on both sides; they were delicious. I even left the skins on and they were sweet and not mushy either. We put them with our spaghetti and covered them with the sauce, yeow not bad. I even ate a couple right off the grill and they were good as well. I read anytime you fix egg plant the salt takes the bitterness out as well as the excess moisture. I have 3 egg plants and they are loaded with fruit but they seem to be a variety I've never grown before. They look like the Asian or Japanese variety; long, skinny and not very big around and each of my plants have at least 10 or more fruits.

After supper and the cleanup we headed outside as it was just 6 PM so I set the sprinkler in the front yard and moved a couple hills of lettuce that I had planted to close together as well as started another thyme plant from cutting the original one. I love thyme, basil and rosemary and I'm getting them ready to take with me in June, LATER

2 comments:

Queenie said...

Enjoyed your blog. Counting the days.

Jerry said...

Well Queenie..it's always good to hear someone enjoyes my ramblings and that your counting the days as well, best to you..