Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thursday Morning

Well Wednesday started out much the usual with me not hearing the roosters at 5:30 or else they didn't crow. I learned from my neighbor who was out in the yard when I left the house at 7:30 there was a possum in the corner of their yard; so maybe the chickens were being quiet because it was around. We finally got some much needed rain just before dark and it was ushering in another cold front. It was cooler by about 10 degrees this AM but was still in the high 50's.

After my quiet time and a lite breakfast of fruit and oatmeal, I pedalled out to the rec for a couple hours of pickle ball. Once again we had a small crowd of 8 players for the first hour or so then it picked up as other trickled in. There was some great play and lots of wet shirts by 10 AM. Afterwards I headed to the library to pick up a read for Nancy then headed home. Amy brought Sam over and then she and Nancy took off to the mall when I got home. Sam and I stayed outside as it was really nice out. I hand watered the garden and he played over by the fence with the chickens. He can get dirty in about 10 seconds if there is any dirt around and now his corner of the yard is a mud pile. I had to wash him off with the hose before we headed in.

I picked a mess of lettuces(ice burg, red leaf, black seeded Simpson) kale, radishes and dill for a salad. Sam likes to stand on a chair and watch me rinse the lettuces, then use a salad spinner to take out the excess water. He  likes to eat a little of each one and proclaims that's healthy and gives you "power". After the salad making I decided to make some guacamole as my avocados were getting ripe. Once again he stood on the chair watching me and then he also ate or tasted all of the ingredients as well as pronouncing their names. I was surprised that he like onions and then he sucked on a lime. He surprises me everyday with his desire to try things and his attention span and vocabulary.

We were eating when the girls got back from the mall. Sam was proud that he helped make the salad and tasted all of the different healthy vegetables that give you "power"(his words). After lunch we played awhile and Nancy read him some books before they headed out to pick up Ava. I started a new book THE SURGEON with a new author, Tess Gerritsen. I think I may want to read her books as she is quite the storyteller. Nancy headed out to the rec for her workout and I headed out to hand water the garden despite the forecast for showers. It never clouded up and rained until much later in the day and sun had dried out my garden.

I picked another large mess of sugar peas; this year is best ever as I've given away lots and they are still blooming. Nancy made a stir fry with peas, onions, garlic and mushrooms and we tried some oreso(sic) for the first time instead of Jasmine rice and I grilled a couple fish fillets. We are not fans of oreso and my worms in the garden enjoyed what was left. I settled in after supper to the NCAA March madness. I watched the Duke's of James Madison beat a team from New York. My baby sister Dee and husband Mike both graduated JMU and were even married there in the 80's as they both were ROTC graduates. They played a good game and now advance to the second round, Go Dukes!!!! After that game I flipped between the Idol and another game and then watched my all time favorite reality show, Duck Dynasty. What a hoot that family is and you gotta love so old time family fun, LATER   

1 comment:

Queenie said...

Off to Winston at 8:00AM this morning.Final clean out.