Saturday, March 2, 2013

Saturday Morning

Well Friday turned out to be just a little cooler with the need to wear a long sleeve shirt or sweater. I opted for shorts and a sweater while working outside in the yard and garden after my workout on the pickle ball courts. The first day of March was really a busy one with some fine eatin' for supper; I will explain later.

The morning started much the usual way with an early wake up by the feathered fowls next door around 5:30. I stayed in the sack until 6 then I no longer could remain horizontal. The cup of hot green tea brought me to life along with my quiet time and a grapefruit with blueberries for breakfast before pedalling out to the rec for a couple hours of pickle ball. We had a nice crowd that provided plenty of action and thus some really wet shirts, mine included. I had to skip out about 15 minutes early as I needed to be home to watch Sam while Amy and Nancy attended their weekly Bible study which was just minutes away at our old church.

Sam and I spent the rest of the morning outside; he playing with the chickens next door through the chain link fence and me with the garden chores. Finally around 11:30 he needed a snack so I washed him off then we came in to get him some cookies and I then cleaned lettuce and made a huge salad using some new lettuce for the first time. I had red leaf and ice burg lettuces I had planted a couple weeks ago and wow did they ever look and taste good in the salad along with some black seeded Simpson and kale. The bib is gone for a couple weeks until it grows a little more. Well Sam climbed up on a chair beside me while I used a salad spinner to get the excess water off of the leaves and he found that very interesting. Well after breaking up all the lettuces we headed into the reading room where he plied me with lots of books to read. He loves his books and by then it was a little after noon so the girls came back then Amy and Sam headed for home. Nancy and I had a nice salad for lunch alone.

After lunch Nancy took off to the rec for her workout and I took the smoker along with some hickory and apple wood over to Amy' so Tyler could get the pork butts on early Saturday morning. We are celebrating Sam and Nancy's birthday this evening(Sat) with a family meal at their house. I stopped at the Auto store and replaced the wipers on the truck before heading back to the house. I then vacuumed the house and did some honey do jobs while Nancy cleaned and dusted as we were celebrating her and Carol's birthday tonight at our house. Carol's birthday is one day before Nancy's today and Nancy's tomorrow(Sunday).

Well the supper was awesome as I cooked bacon on the grill and then wrapped marinated in Italian dressing shrimp and put them in a skewer. We added to the huge salad bowl and then I cleaned and scrubbed golden spuds and got them ready for the pot. Dan and Carole were bringing grass fed filet's so while they grilled to medium rare we had the shrimp kabobs and a glass of "fruit of the vine". Carol also brought sauteed mushrooms and a to die for store bought chocolate cake. I don't remember the name of the cake but it was awesome with dark chocolate slices on top with some kind of filing in the middle that was like foam. Yeow it was great and not real sweet. I'm surprised I really enjoyed that dessert for a change.

Well after the meal and the cleanup we played a game of double 12 domino's and Dan and Carole were within 1 point of each other at the end and she prevailed. We had a fun evening and the eats were excellent and by 9:30 we were all yawning. We have to do this birthday eatin' again at Amy and Tyler's this evening and again on Sunday at the Bonefish grille with GG and again on Monday at Bob and Jill's as we celebrate Nancy's birthday again and daughter-in-law Jill's birthday as well. The first days in March are tough on the spare tire; but it's worth it with all of the family fun. The girls(Nancy and Carol) had us take pictures of them before we ate but somehow they didn't like the outcome so you will just have to imagine what the birthday gals look like, LATER

No comments: