Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wednesday






The morning started early with dueling roosters next door around 6 AM. I'm not sure why they(neighbors) even have them as they're dangerous as well. One attacked our elderly neighbor, Carol a few weeks ago as she went to their door. The roosters always getting out of the back yard, at least their pretty to look at and a conversation piece, oh well!!!

After my quiet time and a bowl of oatmeal with fruit I headed back up onto the roof with a large tarp I brought back from the cabin and about 25 bricks. I covered the area where the leak was occurring in the house and waited for the rain to fall, which happened most all morning in what us mountain folks call "gully washers". I rained so hard several streets were flooded and even some major roads. I had the trash cans and rain catchers on standby in the house and what a wonderful ending as no water came in through the roof. I knew I had isolated the problem area.

Around 3 PM or so my roofer and old friend from church came by and he was pleasantly surprised at how well both the the shingle and flat roof looked after 18 years. I followed his advice to paint the flat roof with this white paint with elastic to help with the reflection of the sun as well as to protect it from all the tree dropping. He immediately noticed a couple areas where the flat roof goes under the shingles were raised up and sure enough 3 nails were raised and he pulled them out and they were rusty. So we knew water had been settling in those nail holes and this year enough so it leaked into the undercoating and eventually through and into the house. Heat causes the nails to back out if they aren't secured into the under roof wood. Anyhow he filled the holes with roofing material and glued the shingles back down with a black cement and seems to think that may have solved the problem for now at least.

Nancy and I headed out in separate shifts to the rec center during the day to get a workout in as every thing here is flat, no stairs and definitely no back trail for hiking. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and she 30 on the treadmill. I rode my bike up for the first time since May and she hoofed it and I was soaking with sweat by the time I got home. I did mow the yard after the rain quit and a my rain gauge(bucket) showed about 5 inches in the bucket and they are calling for more today. I guess this will be a test to determine if the plugged holes are secured on the roof and maybe we can head back to the mountains sometime in the next few days, however that may not happen so fast.

Nancy drove her dad to have his finger sliced open to remove the infection well now it seems its into his bone and they are admitting him to the hospital for surgery which is planned for next Tuesday. I can't believe they would make and 87 year wait until next week if he has an infection into his bones and the oral antibiotics have done nothing to easy the redness or swelling, yikes what are they thinking??? Anyhow we are in limbo with new crisis so knew him in your thoughts and prayers.

We went to our neighborhood house church last night for the first time since May and it was good to see all again. We are sure missing that fresh mountain air and ALL those who breathe it up there. I spoke with Paw Paw last evening as well and he sounded much improved especially with his few minor problems. He no longer has to travel to D.C. for his follow-ups and he is waiting until he can drive once again which is the 25 of this month. Thanks for all the prayers for him as he is doing good.

We sure have enjoyed spending time with our kids and grand kids. We have some current pics I will post, LATER The hot air baloon went over sister Dee's house last Sat. morning when we were Woodstock while we were sitting on the front porch, how neat was that!!!

No comments: