Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Monday

Well its HOT and HUMID with rain showers especially in the morning hours. We were wakened with not one rooster but a second rooster(they thought was a hen)around 6 AM. At least I was awake but just hadn't rolled out of the sack as Nancy was still in slumber land so I did my quiet time while the roosters entertained.

My mind was working with all that needed done especially checking out the roof for where rain had seeped into the dining room, plus I had a water drip at the shutoff valve in our bathroom that required me to keep the water to the house shutoff until I could get to Home Depot for a new valve, well all it needed was for me to tighten it so I made that correction successfully and so I must return what I had purchased.Nancy made some breakfast burritos when I returned then we started doing our own things. I unplugged the frosted up freezer in the garage as I knew the high temp's would melt the ice build up in no time and while it melted I climbed into the roof attic and checked out the underside of the roof; everything looked good there and we had a hard down pour just minutes before. I then climbed onto the flat roof itself and noticed lots of limbs, twigs and leaves had built up while we have been gone since May. After sweeping and blowing this debris from the roof I noticed nothing which would have caused a leak to occur.

I had called my roofer who put this roof on several years ago and he was scheduling me in between jobs for a consult on what maybe causing the leak. After speaking with the neighbors I was told last week there were 2 days of heavy down pours with high winds that blew from the back of the house and that was when the water came into the house. It seems the water on the flat roof had blow back up under the last row of shingles and found its way down along the seam where the flat roof and gabled roof meet. I think I had an easy solution to correct that problem so I'm still waiting for a pro to consult with me. But we got no water into the house from the morning down pour, thankfully.

I then pulled out the mower and hedge trimmer and worked on the back yard. All of the rain had the yard's looking great especially the front yard but the back was a little high as it had been a couple weeks since our great neighbor Jim had mowed it. The gardens had weeds up to my waist which made it easy to pull them and I was in the shade of the oaks. Amy came with the Ava and Sam and he played out in the yard while I weeded and mowed. He loves being outside and was easily entertained playing in a planter of dirt with a stick. I took the water hose and had to wash him off before he was going home for his afternoon nap, he's a mud puppy.

We kept busy until about 4 o'clock when neighbors and good friends our age Dan and Carol came back from their vacation week-end in Orlando. We sat and chatted for nearly 2 hours before headed out to Amy and Tyler's for supper. They are hoping for a trip to the cabin this fall in October as its been a couple of years since they've been up. We had a great supper of chicken casserole with a fresh salad and rolls. Wow was that ever yummy. We got back around 8:30 and just chilled until it was showers and then to bed around 10:30, LATER

No comments: