Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday

Yikes some one remind this is the sunshine state!! Well it was in the 30's this AM with frost so heavy it looked like inches of snow on the ground. Luckily I covered most of my garden and moved my herbs into the shed or they would have been DRT(dead right there). After my few quiet moments and the last of the fruit slad with an over ripe banana on the side I headed out to check the garden. The collards were a thick coat of ice as well as the radish tops. I turn the hose on to squirt them and the hose was frozen shut. I managed to keep working the nozzle and got about a 1/2 stream of water but that didn't seem to melt the ice on the leaves. I rode off to the rec in the truck.

We had a large turnout once again and 4 of us who showed up early had played 6 sets by 8 AM. Wow what good play and we were without several of our really good women players. After getting home from the 2 1/2 hour workout I headed into the back yard and the garden where I removed all the sheets that covered the plants and then hand watered the garden. Several tomato limbs got burned from the frost last night but the major part of the plant survived and the collards looked like they were not affected by the coat of ice that earlier had covered them. The temps eventually warmed up into the 50's and tomorrow it may even reach the lower 70's.

Amy and the kids came for lunch and we had the leftover vegetable beef soup for lunch. Afterwards we played with Ava and Sam before they headed for home so Sam and Ava could get in their afternoon naps. Nancy headed out to the rec for 45 minutes on the treadmill and then stopped by the post office. I lounged around reading. After getting back fromher workout we decided to take down the Christmas decorations and with 2 of us it only took about an hour. Wow was that ever a record for that chore as I usually don't participate. Anyhow we cleaned up the last of the left overs from the dinner on Saturday except for the meat which we froze for another time. Wow was that ever good eatin." Well not much else going on as I once again covered my garden tonight with old sheets as there is a strong chance for it to frost again tonight. LATER

No comments: