Sunday, June 22, 2008

Worship,Smoking chickens and Playing Golf

The morning was just another absolutely beautiful one with coolness in the air and the clear blue North Carolina skies. The trip into Sparta to worship at Cornerstone was marked by a beautiful majestic buck standing down in a holler watching us drive by. The praise and worship music lifted your spirits, along with the warm fellowship of those attending made it great to give thanks for another day......We stopped at Lowes grocery for a few things as well as Hawks for some tomato's and peaches. Lunch was leftover's from our get together yesterday with the Carlson's.... Well I tried something I had heard a lot about and that was "beer in the bottom" chicken. Actually I used 2 Dr.Pepper can 's as I only had bottled beer bought for that purpose. I filled the chickens with fresh rosemary(from my herb patch) and Nancy rubbed them down with olive oil and I stuck a potato in the hole where the neck would be. Plugged it up nicely then I poured beer in the pop cans and set those hens(actually that what you do when you want little diddles or baby chicks) on the bottom rung of my smoker and filled it with water soaked oak wood. I put them on at 1:00PM and took them off at 5:45 PM. just after our company arrived. (Sorry about no picture of them but I forgot as we were interrupted by our friends arrival)..........Well dinner I must say was one of the best smoked chicken ever. I even ate the potato's plugging up the neck hole. The fresh broccoli and salad(with kale from my garden was superb) as well as the fresh jalapeno pepper on the baked potato's (also from my garden) complimented the chicken. YUUMMMMM!!!! After dinner we sat around and visited, exchanging "whats a happening in the hood" at home. We then played 15 holes of golf (card game) instead of the 18 holes as we became very sleepy. Dan and Carol drove all day from St.Augustine, Fl..... Tomorrow will be a laid back, sleep late, a hike or two day. Well I failed to take any pics at all today but will make up for it tomorrow....... We did get a little rain this evening(hoping for a lot more). Later , missing our babies and grand babies

No comments: