Monday, June 2, 2008

Clearing land,building scarecrows and a campfire





Well the day started out a bit warmer than usual, nearly 60 degrees but at 7 AM it was a beautiful still morning to spend a few quiet moments with the creator. The air was so fresh and clean with the birds singing. As I made my around the yard and gardens I noticed the hoof prints of at least one deer, then I noticed where it had eaten away the top of a recently purchased flaming orange azalea.(15 bucks---no pun intended) and a few other plants they aren't supposed to eat. Oh well I decided to go to war with these 4 legged eating machines(Gerald and Andy please kill more next year)....... Mean while, I decided to move and refurbish my 4 scarecrows and along with several white plastic Wal-Mart grocery bags I instituted a plan to detract deers. I'm sure glad I live back in the woods because this method of detracting deer is a bit right out of "trailer park trash" living.....I then decided to clear some much unwanted rhododendrons and holly trees that were blocking my view of some beautiful flaming orange azaleas that grow wild and are free. Needless to say this became a 1/2 day job as the size of the brush piles indicates the numerous trees I sawed down and sawed up(so on a rainy wet day I will burn the brush piles)....... Nancy made her tasty zuppa soup(Olive Garden style potato soup)fordinner. YUMMMMM. After washing the dishes we took a nice long walk to the top of the mountain. WOW was it clear and while hiking we met and talked with Ray Todd's daughter,Tonya and Mike , her husband. Just before dark I decided to burn the trash. Here in the sticks you have no garbage pick up service. Well the camp fire turned out pretty(while sitting by the smoldering trash pile) as I piled on the oak wood....... Tomorrow I will use some of that oak wood soaked overnight in water to smoke whole chickens for dinner with our neighbor, Ray and Audine and Eddie and Kimberly. We like to play a game called Sequence where its gals versus guys. Sometime it gets a bit raucous, but we enjoy the friendly cuttin' up and carryin' on with each other. Will close for now missing my babies and grand babies.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

LET IT BE KNOWN BY ONE AND ALL that in the last game of Sequence the men were soundly defeated. Whooped, I might daresay. Trod upon, and ground into the dirt.

Heh heh heh.