Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thursday

Well what a day its been and to think that now I'm a celebrated Veteran of the Vietnam Era. I was just a 20 year old when I started my military service with the USAF in 1966. I had the fortune to be in a unit that carried personnel(soldiers, med-evac's, etc), material(bombs, weapons, airplane parts, etc) into the war zone in all areas of Vietnam on a C-141A jet aircraft. I also had the dubious job of taking care of the KIA's returning to the States. At that age one doesn't think about the finality that comes with war, but now as I look back on what I could have missed had I been a casualty I shudder to think I would not have had; Nancy, Bobby, Amy and my 4 beautiful grand babies. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who today put their lives in danger that I might continue to love and enjoy my family.

After my quiet time and a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and blueberries I headed out to work in the garden and back yard. I edged, mowed and clipped all before Ava came at 10 AM. I was watching her while Nancy and Amy went shopping. We rode the trike, did sidewalk chalk drawing and then she helped me wash off the N.C. mud and dirt from the truck. We had a busy morning until the girls got home around 12:30. I made us a lite lunch and then I played with Sam while the girls ate. He is trying to crawl but it looks like the Army crawl on his belly and not his knees. Ava wanted to watch TOY STORY 3 so I set that up for her.

After the kids left around 2 PM I caught up on a little reading for a couple hours sitting in the back yard under the shade tree, my it was nice out. I think it may have reached 80 today but with no humidity. We haven't had the A/C on since we've been home but Amy has had the heat on in the mornings at her house.

We had Nancy's folks and Amy and the kids for supper tonight with marinated chicken breasts for fajitas, yellow rice and black beans and a salad. Wow was that ever good almost as good as the deer steaks(ground) last night. That has become my favorite all time meat. YIKES is that ever good eatin' and good for you. I can barely keep my eyes open after my shower and I'm having a hard time finishing this piece and its only 8:30. LATER

No comments: