Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday ..Veterans Day


First let me say how proud I was to serve our country during the Vietnam War. I never once thought about cutting and running away as a draft dodger to another country, of course I was only 20 when I volunteered and signed up for the USAF. I was fortunate to be on a large jet aircraft that delivered material, men and munitions into the war zone. I also brought back medievac's(wounded) and the silver coffins of the dead out of the area as well. I always will and still do think that America is the greatest nation in the world to live and raise a family, even with all of our failures. I personally knew several men who gave their life during that war and my name would have been on that Memorial Wall as well had it not been for the grace of GOD. So today and every day take just a moment and thank all who served and are serving because without them America would not be the same. We need good debate on both sides of the issues because that is what makes Americans unique and different from the rest of the world despite what the professors, politicians and the biased media report.


Well since the rec. was closed today to honor our veterans we slept in or tried to but I'm still having some issues with all the noise in the hood; sirens, loud cars and motorcycles, a/c running, ceiling fans and of course thick pillows and a large hard mattress. Yikes am I hard to please or what?? Hopefully by the weeks end I will have become acclimated to Florida living as it took me a week or so to get use to the cabin living; the quietness, smaller mattress, thin pillows. Oh well!!


I headed out to work in the garden after my quiet time and a lite breakfast of oatmeal and a banana. I took a shovel and turned over about a 1/3 of the garden and not once did I encounter a rock or a stone. Our second name for the cabin in N.C. could have been rocky ridge. I then edged the garden and cut oak roots that each year invade the growing area. Some of these roots were so big I used an ax to cut them back. I then planted some yellow squash, marigolds and another row of beans. This took me up to lunch time. Amy dropped Ava off while she headed out to the doctor for her pregnancy checkup. Wow is she getting a belly and Samuel isn't due until the first of March. (I will enclose a pic).


Nancy fixed a nice chef's salad for lunch and then the girls made some chocolate chip cookies. Ava is such a cutie but a little messy when it come to eating chocolate. Her vocabulary and constant chatter just amazes me for a 2 year old. After the girls left, Nancy and I tried to get in a neighborhood walk. Wow what a difference from walking the mountains as I constantly had to wait for Nancy to catch up; but here on the flat land I run to stay with her as those long legs leave me behind. We got in nearly an hour before a rain shower cut us short.


Nancy fixed a meatloaf, green beans and buttered macaroni, comfort food as she calls it but I call it down right good eatin' especially with a little fresh ground horseradish on the meatloaf. We are cutting our portions as well this fall, as we both need to shed an inch off the waist line, but it was fun putting it there this summer. We ate out at friends houses at least one a week and usually entertained that much or more at the cabin and always with a dessert while playing sequence, dominoes or cards.


This weekend finds us watching Annsley Friday night and then Element Church on Sunday.LATER.

No comments: