Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday
















Well it was 40 degrees this AM but by 4 PM it was nearly 60. Helen said there was frost at her place but by the time we went out I didn't see any. There was lots of sunshine with a pretty stiff breeze most of the day. After our quiet times we had an old fashion country breakfast with fried 'taters, ham, eggs and toast. That held me all day until we headed over to Joe's for supper around 4:30. Joe is a great cook and baker as well. This evening he made chili, rice and a salad and for dessert he made a pumpkin roll. Mighty fine eatin', thanks Joe.

After breakfast I bottled up the scuppernog wine I had made in September and it tasted pretty good, not bad for my first try. I then hung a load of laundry before getting the ground ready to plant my 'taters for next year's crop. I planted 44 hills of spuds and by this time Nancy was ready to head to the top of the mountain for our daily hike. The fallen dried leaves are nearly a foot deep in places in the woods and back roads. The air was still cool on the walk but was warming up enough to where I could shed the sweat shirt.

After the hike Nancy had a lite lunch and I skipped it because of the large breakfast so I headed off to dig up about a dozen small pines trees to plant down below the garden as a border on the lower side. This time of the year with all the trees being leafless we can see workers at the stilt house down below us and on the upper side of the ridge. I then gathered all the pumpkins and cut them up with a shovel and spread them in the garden for compost. After mulching them I started moving the bench seats around the fire circle up under the back porch out of the weather. I tossed all the marigolds, inpatients and begonias into the garden for compost as well. Later this week we will head over to Eddie and Kimberly's for some real compost; horse manure.
Well Nancy took a few pics of the bare leafless trees surrounding the cabin. Its supposed to get so cold by the weeks end there is the chance of snow once again. I almost forgot to mention I raked the outback yard for the 4th time since the leaves started falling. LATER

No comments: