Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday

The morning started out the usual after our quiet times with a bowl of oatmeal loaded with blueberries, peach and a banana and topped off with a sprinkle of cinnamon. After eating I headed out to check on the gardens and noticed no deer damage but saw lots of holes in my lettuce; yesterday I sprinkled slug poison around the upper garden so I sure hope it works. I have several spoon 'maters starting to turn but even with a dozen or two I may have a tablespoon full, they are really small but sorta of cute if tomatoes can be cute. I have a couple dozen other green tomatoes about golf ball size or slightly larger.

After church this morning we headed back to the cabin for a late lunch then I headed out to catch up on some yard work that was a week over due. First I hauled several 5 gallon buckets of compost and put it around my tomato's in the upper garden then did the same to the lower and herb gardens. I then hauled out the riding mower and went to town on all the yards except the back woods yard. It took me about an hour an a half. After mowing I did the weed eating around everything and boy does that look good. We had supper after the edging.

Supper was a baked potato and fresh broccoli. After the clean up we headed out for our hike of the day to the top of the mountain. It was in the low 70's with some sunshine but mostly cloudy. It sure looked and felt like rain. The hike was uneventful and we saw no one. After getting back I started a fire in the fire pit and burned trash. I picked up the back woods yard as its always loaded with small limbs and twigs and added them to the burning trash heap. Finally everything burned and I found a used diaper from baby Gabe in the trash can down in the basement. These things are difficult to burn so I dug it out of the heap and will add it to the garbage that goes to the dump.

I headed in the cabin just about 9 PM and I heard a screech owl in the woods and it sounded like there was more than one. Well that rain that was threatening has arrived and it falling softly on the the tin roof, should be a good night for sleeping, LATER

No comments: