Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday

Well I awakened around 6 AM and there was a soft rain falling on the tin roof so I rolled over and let it put me back to sleep until after 7 AM. It was cool at 59 degrees. It rained softly until about 11 when it finally stopped. The sun never came out all day but it did get a little lighter by the afternoon. We headed out for our daily hike just after the rain stopped. After our quiet times and a breakfast of French toast made from the bread we bought yesterday I headed down into the basement to get a gallon of wine berry wine started.

After the hike we had a salad for lunch then I headed down into the gardens to spread some slug poison as I saw several small ones on the lettuce. I then helped with vacumming and did some piddly jobs before weeding my garlic patch. Little did I know there was a yellow jacket nest in the ground and although I stepped on it somehow I blocked the hole momentarily with my shoe. I saw a lone bee flying around which put me on alert then I spotted a couple more. I managed to get away without being stung and then I blocked the nest hole in the ground with a shovel of dirt and began to kill bees that landed on the dirt blocking their nest. After about 20 kills and no more flying bees I left them and will check on the nest tomorrow and if they are still there a gas bath is in store for them tomorrow night. These bees are the nastiest ever and I can't believe I got off without any stings.

We snacked for supper as we were playing Sequence at Eddie and Kimberly's house as they have to feed their new colt every 4 hours from a bucket as it mother died this pass week. Nancy made salsa and chips and Kimberly made jalapeno poppers and Audine brought con queso dip. The gals really had a smackdown tonight with 10 straight wins of course we had a 11 year old playing with guys. Well tomorrow is church day at Cornerstone and the pillow is calling my name after that hot shower. LATER

No comments: