Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday






Well today started out around 7 after waking earlier but I forced myself to stay prone until Nancy awakened. It was another warm morning with the temp. close to 70 and eventually it was 85 on our back porch which usually isn't bad except for the humidity. Anyhow our quiet times Nancy made egg sandwiches as our good friends the Luffman gave us several really ripe home grown tomato's and oh my did that ever compliment a fried egg on toast with mayo, onion and lettuce. Yikes that is gourmet!!!

After breakfast I piddled around in the yard until Nancy was ready and we took off for our hike of the day to the top of the mountain and believe me when I say it was HOT as we crossed over from the back road which is in the trees to the front road which is in the open. It must have been 10-15 warmer in the open. We stopped and visited with the Browning's and I brought them 3 Zucchinis from my garden I picked just before we hiked. Their 1/2 runner beans are doing fabulous as she has already canned several jars but their tomato's have blossom end rot which is a terminal disease for tomato's. After getting bad to the cabin and a drink of cold mountain water we rode off to Joe(Helen's brother) as he wanted to be rid of the onions he had planted. He gave a us a dozen as well as some cucumbers. His tomato's are looking good but no peppers this year which is unfortunate as he always grows good bell peppers. We bought one at Wal-mart the other day and it was 98 cents for 1 pepper, oh well I think I'm going to have a few jalapenos which make good poppers but they have a ways to go as well.

We came home and had a fresh salad for lunch then I headed out to paint the black spacer boards on the front porch and on the upper side of the cabin. I managed to stay out of the direct sun as it was pushing 85 plus. Finally about 4 o'clock the wind came up and the clouds rolled in with thunder in the distance but just a 10 minute light shower. The shower cooled things down enough to make it bearable the rest of the day. After a supper of leftovers with tater tots and a cucumber and onion salad we headed out on the golf cart for an extended ride out to the hard road then back across the mountain and down the back road. It was close to 8 PM before we got back so I worked in the lower garden pulling weeds and hand watering until nearly dark. The bugs were extremely busy this evening for some reason and just love to invade my ears, eyes and nose so I was ready to get in the cabin.

Well we didn't do a whole lot today but stayed busy just the same. I did manage to speak with Paw Paw(dad) this morning and he sounded good, he thinks they are going to release him from D.C. back to Martinsburg, W.VA. VA hospital the first of next week, so that will make it a lot easier for visitors and for him with his follow up check ups. Thanks for all those who remembered him in your thoughts and prayers, today we saw our mailman and he inquired about his health as well, don't ya just love a small town!!! LATER Nancy was playing with the camera today and shot some pictures.

No comments: