Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wednesdsay

Well the rain was heavy at times during the morning hours but eventually gave way to some periods of no rain and even a burst or two of sunshine. After the usual quiet time and a mountain breakfast of eggs and grits I settled in to a good read by Joseph Wambaugh. About 11 AM it cleared off enough to head out for our one an only hike of the day.

After a frozen pizza for lunch I headed out with the rake and began tackling the leaves in the side and back yard. They were to wet to use the blower so I raked up about 1/3 of the yard then took the lawn push mower and reduced them down by running over them. This makes for much better composting and good worm food in the gardens. I will eventually take the roto-tiller and turn them under for the winter. I managed to get about 3 hours work in before a huge rain shower hit about 4:30. The temps were so warm today which is quite unusual for this time of the year. The past couple days severe weather along with tornado warning for most all of the Carolina's. Several touched down in the Hickory area causing tons of damage. I wore shorts today with just a t-shirt while working outside in the 70's temps, was that ever nice.

We were having the Dalton Gang and Gerald and Kay for supper so Nancy was busy doing her thing which is cooking and cleaning. Wow what a spread we had with roast chicken, smashed spuds and the best chicken gravy I've eaten in awhile with fresh beets, cooked apples and biscuits. Kay made a supper spinach salad with pecans on top and a jar of her canned 1/2 runner beans. My oh my everything was superb and quite tasty. Afterwards we cleared off the table put the dished into soak and got a game of Sequence going. Well needless to say this was a "smackdown" using Mechelle own words but I like it to an old fashion butt whupping as the guys for a change won 7-2. Sorry gals but you were sleeping with winners last tonight. They left about 8:30 as it was a school night. Seems we made plans for a rematch with Andy's famous ribs on Sunday night at the Dalton Ranch.

After the dishes were done and put away we settled in to me watching the Rangers Cliff Lee get pounded in the first game of the World Series and Nancy on Facebook. I finally had seen enough so I hit the showers which is what he should have done before he got the team down 8-2 to the Giants. I really am not a follower of either team but since the Rangers played so well against the Rays and Yankees I was rooting for them. LATER

No comments: