Friday, October 29, 2010

Thursday

Wow what a day of blunders, accidents or just plain carelessness. The day started out the usual with a lite breakfast after our quiet times and sleeping in until after 8 AM. Yikes we have to stop that as that is my start time for pickle ball when we get back to sunny Florida, anyhow it was 55 degrees which was still pleasant for here this time of the year. I headed out to finish raking up the mulched leaves in the back yard(woods) after putting in a load of laundry in the basement on my way down to the shed to get the golf cart. I got rained out on Wednesday so I wanted to get these mulched leaves in the lower garden. Well I raked up 5 large cans of leaves and because they were still wet an extremely heavy I used the golf cart to haul them.

That went real well and the green grass under the leaves looked great. Nancy came out to hang the clothes so on my last load I tried to maneuver the golf cart around the hung clothes and just nipped the wheel barrow that had all of my new seedlings; kale, broccoli, thyme, Swiss chard, peppers, basil, zinnias, marigolds. Well it overturned dumping all of these out into the grass. I managed to save a few about 1/3 of them but lost the thyme, zinnas and most of the basil completely as the seedlings were small and the grass was high. I knew it was going to be one of those days. Anyhow after trying to save what I could we headed out to the top for our morning hike.

Nancy wanted to walk through the property, not on the trail as she wanted to see our property lines as most of the underbrush has no leaves and you can navigate in the woods. So we made it out to the other side and discovered a tree had fallen over the back road which would obstruct those who drive down from the top on the side road. So we decided when we got back after lunch to bring the chainsaw over and saw it up and another leaning black pine that was close to falling on a Hemlock I had transplanted a couple years ago.

After a great lunch of salad with a little deer salami on it we headed over to "mountain moms" and picked her up to go to her brother Joe's place. He is selling some acreage across from his beautiful hill top place on the next hill. He wanted some pictures for advertisement on Craigs List that his son is helping him to sell. Its a beautiful piece of land with great views and I think he is selling 5 or more acres or whatever is on top of this hill. Nancy took some 20 pictures then we headed back home to finish up those tree problems. Any how the tree I wanted to saw up on the ground had already been moved by neighbor Gerald so we went ahead and sawed down the leaning pine. Well as I moved into the brush I ran a twig into my right eye. Luckily it didn't cause any blood damage but still smarted and watered so we headed back to the house to wash it out with some eye drops. It felt good enough to continue being outside but I could tell I had scratched the eye, anyhow Nancy wanted to take an extended golf cart ride so we headed down to the creek by neighbors Grant and Shirley. While looking for the black bear which was spotted there last week we noticed that their side door was open. So I ventured in to check for intruders and found the door knob was locked so that indicated to me who ever closed the door didn't latch it tightly. The heavy winds the past couple days must have jarred the door open. Everything looked normal on the inside so we made our way back up the old road to the top of the mountain.

On the way up Nancy spotted this old logging road so we took it even though limbs were hanging over the road and debris was everywhere but it was really a nice drive in the woods. I drove pass this one limb and it caught on the side of the golf cart and swept back slapping me right between the eyes bringing blood, wow was I ever lucky on that cause it just missed really damaging my left eye. Something was telling me don't go near any high drop offs!!! I was definitely accident prone today.

We made it too the top and visited with Norman who wants to split wood with his gas driven wood splitter tomorrow morning so we made the date. Nancy will run the lever that moved the splitter forward into huge chunks of wood and the rest of us will get the chunks in place then load them on a wagon so we can store them out of the weather under his house. By the time we got back to the cabin it was after 4 PM and we could feel the temps dropping quickly.

We finished the leftover roast chicken, smashed taters with that awesome gravy and fried apples for supper along with a can of sweet peas. Yikes no wonder I can't get rid of this spare tire. After supper I burned trash until dark then we got ready to watch a little of the World Series. I'm beginning to believe this Giants team is unstoppable. Back in the 60's while I was in stationed in the USAF at Travis AFB in California, I watched the great Willie Mays hit a homer off Jerry Goosman(sic) over the left field wall at Candlestick Park. What a shot that was and my only memorable occasion of the Giants, but they sure are taking it to a couple of the best pitchers; Lee and Wilson with the Rangers. Wow 11-7 and 9-0, this could be a short series. LATER

No comments: