Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wednesday

Well it was 52 this AM with a lite rain which lasted a couple hours. The skies stayed overcast most of the morning until early afternoon when the clouds finally gave way to a brilliant sunshine. After our quiet time and a breakfast of eggs and grits I headed outside as the rain was just about gone. I transplanted lots of seedlings; kale, broccoli, Swiss chard, red peppers and basil. Hopefully they will make it until I get back to Florida for my winter garden. I headed out to the back woods to finish splitting several oak pieces when Nancy yelled she was ready to hike.

We had a great hike to the top and the clouds were still hugging the mountain tops. The rain really gave the leaves on the ground a pungent smell like Parmesan cheese. After the hike I headed back to splitting the last 10 pieces with the sledge hammer and wedge. I ate an apple for lunch and some Cinnamon pie crust which Nancy had leftover from her apple pie she made for dessert tonight before I started the smoker for beer- in- the- rear chicken with some apple wood.

I headed out to the mail box with Nancy on the golf cart and then started digging and hauling dirt for the front circle flower bed. After a couple loads for the flower beds I did a couple loads for the low spots in the lawn on the lower side by the time I finished these little jobs it was time to get ready for Walt and Thelia.

Walt helped me do a couple small plumbing jobs in the basement and then we headed down to help neighbor Gerald out with a plumbing problem he had with his antique tub. We fixed that problem after attaching a new supply line. We then took a ride to the top of the mountain on the golf cart as the chicken wasn't due to be finished until 6 PM. The girls had supper ready all except for the carving of the chicken; oven taters rolled in olive oil with fresh parsley and rosemary and baked in the oven, fresh salad, cooked carrots and biscuits. The apple pie was saved for later and we sent some home as we all were just to full. My was that ever good eatin' and the chicken was so moist. We sat around watching the Yankees beat the Rangers but they are still down 3-2 in games which now goes back to play the next game in Texas.

The temp has dropped down into the 40's already and there is the possibility of frost in the hollers, so I moved all my newly transplanted seedlings up and under the back porch for the night as Walt and Thelia left for home.

Well its been a busy, fun day with lots of different little jobs being completed. Tomorrow evening we are having a fun night with supper at the Luffmans and a couple rowdy sequence games. Looking forward to that, LATER.

No comments: