Sunday, October 31, 2010

Saturday

Well this was the coldest morning so far with frost(ice) on the top of the truck and windshield and the temp down to 27. We didn't get up until after 7 AM so it had warmed a little to 35. Yikes it was really nippy outside but no wind. After a breakfast of egg sandwiches made with homemade bread Jetta had given us on Friday evening after we had finished helping them get their fire wood split, I headed outside. I had placed what seedlings I salvaged from the wheel barrow spill in the warm basement so they were ready for some sunshine and I wheeled them out into the back yard.

I got out the leaf blower and blew a ton of leaves into a pile where I mulched them with the lawn mower. After raking them up into the herb gardens I then took out the roto-tiller and headed for the upper garden to do some churning the mulched leaves into the soil. Wow what a job the tiller does but it really works the muscles in the chest and arms.I took a break for some lunch before tackling the much larger lower garden. After some leftover bean soup I headed down to the lower garden. Wow that was the first time it had ever been plowed with a mechanical device except for me with a shovel in all the years I've had the gardens; sure makes for a great way to get the mulch churned up and in record time and so much easier on the back. Wow I'm finally leaving the Colonial Era and coming of age, HA!!!

We decided to get a hike in as the afternoon was just beautiful, I was in a t-shirt Nancy was still in her sweat shirt and parka but of course I had been busy; so we headed out to the top. We were returning Jetta's bread container and Nancy filled it with a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies so we stopped and visited with them for awhile before heading along the ridge. We next stopped and visited with Roddy and Kathy who just happened to have a recliner and couch on the back of their truck and was wondering how they were going to get them in their house. Roddy and I took care of that problem and got them off the truck and in their front door, my good deed of the day. We headed on back down from the top and it was such a gorgeous afternoon with temps nearly 55 degrees and bright sunshine with deep blue skies so Nancy took off on the golf cart and I once again got out the blower to clean the front yard of leaves and pine needles.

Evening was fast approaching so I cut some fresh Swiss Chard that was still growing in my lower garden(that's all except for a couple kale plants) and then I planted 17 hills of potato's. I had 17 little potato's from when I dug mine back in Sept(I think) and kept them in the basement. They were perfect so I planted them like last year and when we came to the cabin in May I had several hills of beautiful potato plants about a foot in height. I learned this because a couple years ago when I dug my potato's I missed some in the ground and there they were next Spring, healthy potato plants. They had laid dormant all winter in the cold ground and when the earth warmed they sprouted and eventually made for a few hills of good eatin'.

Speaking of good eating Nancy made a turnip casserole with a white sauce and crumbs on top and I sauteed the Swiss chard in olive oil, fresh garlic(I grew), a little Sea Salt and a black pepper, my oh my, along with a grilled pork chop what a tasty supper and we licked the platters clean as well as the bones.

It didn't get as cold as Friday night with temps in the high 40's but the wind has been back up and we can hearing whining in the tree tops this Sunday morning. Getting ready to head out for worship at Cornerstone in Sparta. Oh by the way the Rangers finally won a game against the Giants last night so its 2-1 them. Big plans later on Sunday evening as The Dalton's are smoking some pork ribs for supper and then what will probably be out last Sequence match of this year. LATER

No comments: