Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday
















Well we slept in until nearly 8:30 this morning after a full day yesterday and getting to bed after midnight. Wow was it ever a busy and exciting day with the Big Daddy Weave concert last evening. After our quiet time and a lite breakfast it was nearly 10 AM before I ever ventured outside. There was a soft rain which eventually turned into a downpour for about an hour before finally clearing off around 10:30. I headed outside to check on my seedlings and eventually took a walk up and into the woods on the back side of the cabin.
The leaves have just blanketed the woods and with the rain causing them to become soggy it was rather quiet as I headed up through the woods. I was hoping to scare up a deer but saw none although the squirrels were having a field day as they buzzed about in the leaves and trees. Nancy finally came out of the house so we took off up to the top of the mountain for our one and only hike of the day. We saw Fred on top and visited a few moments and then we headed on back for a lite lunch of left over salsa and concasio dip. After eating we took off back to the top in the golf cart with the pole saw to trim a couple hickory tree limbs for neighbor Norman. I get to keep the wood for my smoker in return for trimming his tree. After sawing off several limbs and stacking the wood in golf cart we headed back down the mountain with Nancy doing a video of the trail. After reaching the bottom we rode out to check the mail.

I took out my table saw and sawed the branches into 4-5 inch blocks so I could haul them back to Florida for my smoker. I then raked the area I had raked on Saturday as the wind and rain covered the front yard once again overnight with pine needles and leaves. It was close to 5 o'clock by the time I finished so Nancy was frying up some yellow squash for supper and along with the last of the smoked chicken and leftover salad we had a very tasty and lite supper. By the time we finished eating, speaking with son Bobby and Helen on the phone it was starting to get dark so we decided to skip the evening hike. The temperature had actually risen to the middle 60's which made for an unusual nice evening. The much needed rain we received this morning was about 3/4 of an inch and we are slated for more rain on Wednesday. Enclosed are a few pictures Nancy took from the porch of the last of the colors around the cabin. LATER

No comments: