Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday

Well it was another nice morning with temp's in the low 60's and just enough breeze to make it really comfortable. I was back on my old schedule with a 6 AM wide awake so I rolled out while Nancy continued to snooze. It wasn't long before she was up as well. After a cup of hot green tea I did my few quiet moments and then had a bowl of cereal with a peach on top.I headed down to the basement to do what I hope will become a routine of; stretching, leg lifts and push ups. After my regiment I loaded the washing machine and ventured out to check on the gardens.

There wasn't a whole lot of obvious damage except for the okra, of the 24 hills I transplanted I've loss about 1/2 to something which I think is slugs, but haven't been able to spot any thus far. Oh well!!! I got out the weed whacker and began to edge the whole property which took me close to an hour or more and by this time Nancy was ready for our morning hike. It was an uneventful hike except we made the 3 steeps climbs without stopping and got back to the cabin within the hour, what a good workout. Nancy put together a nice salad for lunch so we sat out on the front porch and ate, yumm and the ambiance was magnificent. After lunch I cranked up the riding mower and that's where I spent the next couple hours. It got really hot in the sun but the shady areas were very nice. I found several areas that had fresh mole tunnels so I distributed some poison peanuts down their mole holes.

After the yard work was complete I headed down to the 'tater patch and hilled(loosened the dirt and piled it up around the plant) all of the plants which I believe must be 30 or more. I then did the same with the 'mater, Swiss chard, kale and bean plants. If I can keep the slugs and beetles away it looks like we may have a few veggies to not only eat but give away. We could use a good rain shower or two as I've had to hand water the past couple days.

Well when I finished with all this hoeing Nancy reminded me it was after 4 so it was time to get the grille ready for some salmon coated with fresh dill. She had a couple sweet 'taters cooking as well as some Lima beans with a couple fresh yellow squash mixed it, yeow was that ever a good mix and supper was superb. I headed out to hand water after eating as Nancy cleaned up. We waited about an hour before getting ready to take off for second hike of the day. We did the hike in reverse and wow does it ever seem more difficult, not sure why but the second climb is more gradual but twice as long in distance. We hooked up with Carson on top as he was driving his grand dad around in their golf cart.

Well its been a little warmer today not over 80 but close with a steady breeze all day which really made it feel comfortable. Tomorrow I think we will head to the county dump, library and dollar store and then to Helen's for supper. LATER

No comments: