Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday

Brrr it was a bit nippy this AM as temps were down in the 50's with a brisk wind. Nancy actually wore a sweat shirt when we walked around 11 0'clock. I was awake early but decided since the windows were closed and we couldn't hear those happy singing birds I would try to sleep in and did manage until nearly 7. After a cup of hot green tea, my quiet time and a leftover buckwheat cake layered with a banana, strawberry and a blueberry for breakfast I headed outside to check on the gardens. I only found one live slug as I had really soaked the buggers last night with Malathion or maybe it was just too nippy for them to be out and about.

I gave the screen doors their second and final coat of green paint and with the dry air they were cured in no time. I next decided I needed to stake my tomato plants and cucumber's as the wind was blowing so hard I was afraid they would break off. The sugar peas I planted on Thursday are breaking ground and hopefully I have the slugs under control enough to prevent them from eating these new shoots. We had a great hike and stopped off to visit with Norm to see how the garden I rototillered and laid off in rows for him was doing. The beans and corn were up several inches as well as the cucumbers and squash.

After our hike I had a quick lunch of leftover 'taters and broccoli. I knew we were eating out in the afternoon so I stayed lite, simple and meatless. Speaking of supper this evening we(Helen and Joe as well) tried a new home cooking place in Galax called Flossie's. It was exceptionally tasty and great portions. Nancy and I both had roast turkey, cornbread stuffing, smashed 'taters(the real kind) and gravy with a garden salad and roll. Very tasty and I had to help Nancy finish hers. We were on our way home after visiting the Farmers Market in Hillsville where the sweet 'taters were 10 cents a pound. We've eaten them twice since we've been here and they are excellent plus they last forever in the basement so I bought 5 pounds of them. We next stopped at Lowes and made some purchases before heading over to Flossie's to eat. By the way this building where the restaurant's located is over a 100 years old and of course it has been refurbished, but still unique.

Well when we got home the temps had dropped down into the 60's so that made for good hiking conditions and we headed out to the top. We ran into Mike and Nancy on top who are up from Winston for a couple days and chatted with them before heading on back. I put out so mole bait as these guys tunnel underground leaving high ridges in your grass thus causing the lawn mower to chop away the grass when you mow. Well not much else is going on, LATER

1 comment:

Jodi said...

You need to have Nancy-Pantsy stomp down those mole ridges before you mow!

Where is Flossies? Sounds good. If I ever make it up there this summer. :-(