Sunday, June 13, 2010

Saturday on Sunday Morning

The morning started out with one of the warmest, most humid ones to date. I think it was close to 75, yikes that is unreal for here, anyhow it was still a pleasure to look out and see all the flowers in bloom and to hear the birds entertain us with their morning symphony, just absolutely magnificent. After my usual "spot of green tea", my few moments to give thanks, to reflect as well as lift up those who are on my heart, I started with a bowl of oatmeal and doctored up with a peach and a banana. I ventured out to check on the slug damage. In all the years we have a garden here never have I seen so many of these slimy voracious eaters. The "beer bath" worked the first couple times but they seem to have had their fill for now as they ate my new seedlings alongside the "slug motel."This morning after a 2 inch rain last night I stepped on over a hundred of them in the yard and gardens. They love wet weather, green plants and I thought Budweiser, where are all my Bud frogs, don't they eat slugs??

I was out working in the garden when I heard this voice from the driveway ask "can you help us, we're lost"? Seems the family of a deceased neighbor on top of the mountain was gathering for a memorial service to her and the spreading of her ashes at her cabin as she has passed this winter. There were several cars coming up the back road which were lost so I rode with this really nice older couple from the Florida Keys/Kingsport, Tn. who were family but had never been here and showed them to her place. I walked back down and met Nancy coming up the back road so we continued on our morning hike after we both assisted another lost couple. By the time we got home I was soaked and the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Nancy fixed up a fresh salad and then the skies darkened and the thunder and lightening began and we had a much needed downpour of a 1/2 inch. The temp dropped from 82 to 68 and just a matter of minutes and once again the air was crisp and clean plus we could actually see the grass turning green before our eyes.

I caught up on some reading and a little sports on the tube while Nancy put together a layered taco dip for tonight's get together with our old original Sequence gang. I have to admit it was close at 3-3 when all of a sudden the gals started pulling cards out of the deck like I've never seen and whupped us 6-4. It was rumbling in the distance so that was the excuse to head out even though the night was young and maybe it was a good thing as the skies opened up around 10 o'clock with severe lightening and thunder and over 2 inches of rain fell in about an hour( I have a new rain gauge).

Well its time to get ready to head out for worship at Cornerstone, top of the day to all. LATER

No comments: