Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday

It was 52 this morning, brrr but bright blue skies. Wow can you believe this weather in July? We could use a little rain as I'm back to hand watering the gardens a couple times a day. This morning after our quiet times Nancy and I did a couple loads of laundry I worked in the garden then we took off for our mid morning hike and was it ever nice. The temps had finally reached the mid 60's and there was a slight breeze.

We got back about lunch time and after a lite lunch of left overs I decided it was time to mulch the upper garden with oak leaves. So I loaded up 2 large trash cans and headed out on the golf cart to the back woods to gather leaves. After 3 trips and 6 cans of dried oak leaves I took the lawn mower and broke the leaves up by mowing over them. It acts like a shredder and I reduced 6 large cans down to about 2 cans. The earth worms love oak leaves and once they are ground up it makes it easier for the worms to reduce them to compost. Not only do the worms keep the soil loose but they add the very best fertilizer as plant food. I added these mulched leaves around my tomato, pepper, sugar peas and kale plants.

After the mulching process was complete I headed to the back woods yard to once again dig up areas that have no grass. When I cleared the land a couple years ago I failed to completely remove the top layer of galax, roots and debris that lays just below the surface so grass has a difficult time to take root. By digging up these areas and planting grass seed I'm gradually getting the lawn to take hold. It's sure tough work digging these areas with a hand tool.I worked at this project until it was near dinner time.

We decided to invite neighbor Gerald for dinner as his wife went to upstate New York to visit her sisters for a week. Nancy fried up some smoked ham and made some mac and cheese along with fresh green beans and a salad with garlic bread. YUMM!!

After dinner and the dishes were done we took off for a walk over to visit with Ray. He was there with his 2 grandsons, Carson and Carter. Both boys are just as cute as can be but they are country boys to the bone. After our visit we headed up the hill and across the back of our property and came down the back trail into our yard. Wow is it easier coming down than going up that back trail. I stayed out and watered the gardens and the grass in the back yard until 9 PM.

Tomorrow we are taking a trip down to Boone to the Mast General Store and then to Blowing Rock for lunch at the Storey Street Station with Joe and Helen. We need a fun day and new scenery for a change. LATER.

No comments: