Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday











Well I awakened about 4 AM to rain on the roof and to lightning and thunder. I jumped out of bed to unplug; the computer, t.v. and the camera. Needless to say when I tried to get on the Internet around 7:30 there was no connection. They took a couple hours but by noon we were back on line. The rain was a welcome relief and while it was not a whole lot it sure seemed to bring the plants back to life. After my quiet time and a lite breakfast of fruit I did a garden check for deer damage. So far so good!!!

I was scheduled to give a pickle ball demonstration with Ted Smith at 10 AM but there were no takers so we played about 6 sets of singles with the last set in a light rain. The court is aluminum with a non-skid surface; the ball is plastic and the paddles are treated wood so a light rain has no effect on play. Tomorrow we will try again but this time neighbor, Gerald will play with us. Hopefully we can get a fourth player for doubles. Both Ted and Gerald have been bitten by the pickle ball bug. Believe me when I say this game is not only fun but addicting.
After a quick lunch I started to dig some top soil and spread it on some much needed areas in the back yard under the trees. I wanted to get this top dressing on the areas where the grass seed I sowed last week was starting to sprout and show a little green. I managed to work at this until around 3 PM before a rain shower shut me down. We were expecting Helen and Joe for supper at 4:30 so I needed a little time to clean up and help Nancy. She made a marvelous supper of; meat loaf, Lima beans, mashed spuds, garden salad, yeast rolls and a Granny Smith apple pie for dessert. YUMM!!!

After supper and our guests left, we did the dishes and then took our daily hike out to the mailbox. There was just a touch of fall in the air. We came back and Nancy went on-line to read a new blog called Pioneer Woman. It's a must read!!!! I pulled a few weeds and puttered around in the garden. Enclosed are a few area shots from last evening and her apple pie. LATER

No comments: