Friday, August 28, 2009

Thursday on Friday Morning

Well the day started out with bright sunshine in the tree tops and a stillness in the air broken only by the sound of dew dripping from the roof. We once again slept in until after 8 AM; boy is that a sure cry from when I was on the farm and 5:30 came around to head for the barn to milk at least 1 cow, slop the hogs, feed & water the chickens,ride the mules to water and then walk a mile to meet the school bus at 7 AM for about a 15 mile ride to school. No wonder I feel quilty sleeping in even after all these years. But I wouldn't have traded anything for that expeirence.

After our quiet time and a breakfast of soft boiled(3 min.) free range brown eggs on left over cornbread I headed out to check on the gardens. So far this has been a good year for no deer damage at night. I picked beans(1/2runners) a couple cukes, a zucchin and a couple 'maters. The grass seed I planted last week is breaking ground. Nancy got a load of laundry out on the line then we got ready for our morning hike to the top of the mountain. I carried some cukes and 'maters Joe brought me Wednesday evening for our 82 year old friend(Norm) and his wife who is not in the best of health. Norm is a WWII veteran from W.Va. and is a man who reminds me so much of Yogi Bera's insight and simple wisdom. He also proudly displays the flag daily unless its inclement weather not like lazy me who leaves it out all the time. He makes our day on our hikes.

We came back to a fresh garden salad for lunch before heading out on the golf cart to check the mail. We took a little ride down the hard road to see where the new logging operation is going on by David Todd. He just logged about 3+ acres next to the road leading in to the cabin and this operation calls for about another 30+ acres to be logged. When the land is clear cut it sure leaves a mess.

Well I racked the 2 gallons of homemade wild blackberry wine I started in June. It sure has a beautiful color but its a little sweet, not to my liking but was fun to make. Nancy was camped on the computer and listening to Bobby's 3 song CD. Sounds great!!

Well Nancy took fresh garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, onions (all from my garden) and sauted them in olive oil & butter along with fresh tomato's(roma & patio's) and then added that over penne pasta smothered with parmesan cheese. Now that is a great one dish meal. I ate early as Ted Smith and I met up at Roaring Gap for pickle ball. Craig and LeAnn Joines also came and we had spirited play. They have really picked the game up quickly and seemed to throughly enjoy the play. Ted and I were soaked with sweat of course we got 3 games in before the others arrived. Sorry about skipping the post last night but the Tampa Bay Buc's were playing on prime time T.V. last night, so I wanted to watch them; but to my chagrin they didn't look to good against the Dolphins. Oh well!!

Well, will close as we were supposed to ride the New River Trail today but we woke up to a soft rain that looks like it could be an all day affair. I'm still taking the bikes with us to Galax just in case the sun should appear, Nancy!!! LATER

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Where is David logging? Did you ever find out why there are marking flags on that patch of woods across the gravel road from where he just logged? (By the mailboxes)