Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday Morning

Tuesday was a busy day that started around a 6:30 wake up for me. Nancy managed to linger awhile in bed but my internal alarm had me wide awake before the roll out. I don't miss the roosters at 5'ish but still find it difficult to sleep in as I'm so use to being on the pickle ball court at 7:30, Oh Well!! After my usual cup of tea while posting this ramble I spent a few quiet moments then did my smoothie of a fresh peach and banana for breakfast before heading out to check on the gardens. During the middle of the night early Tuesday morning, it came up a horrendous storm which awakened me to the sounds associated with a twister while dumping heavy rainfall. I thought everything would be destroyed when I went out to check on the gardens and yards and while it was drenched everything looked normal, thankfully.

We headed over to help our "mountain mom", Helen with some chores. She lives just a couple miles from us and we often take the golf cart but today we drove the truck. First we had to release a bunny rabbit she caught in a trap overnight while trying to capture a ground hog that has become too familiar with her cabin. The bunny just hopped off to meet up with his pals as several were waiting in the yard. She counted 9 at one time in her yard. I then knocked out a tree stump that was evident in the yard making it difficult to mow around. She has one more stump that needs removed but I will have to drill holes in it and pour some stump rot solution to help speed up the rotting.

We headed over and found a couple wild azaleas, the locals call it wild honeysuckle but its a bush that has orange blooms and grows like a spindly tree. We purchased one from a nursery years ago but the deer ate it off; I now have 2 as we dug them from her berry patch. We then headed over to the road and entrance way of her driveway to help with trimming her shrubs and the bushes along her driveway. The bushes and shrubs were just out of her reach and we cut and trimmed several wagon loads for her brush pile. We then cleared out an area for her to sow wild flower seeds. We got a lot done in just a couple hours and I could tell by my rumbling belly it was time for some lunch.

After a lite lunch of something quick and easy; sardines with onion and mustard on a cracker which just happened to be one of our favorites. I also finished up the last of the cookies made without sugar or flour. I really like them as raisins, applesauce, oatmeal and almond milk make up the ingredients and next time I can talk her into making them(she doesn't like them) I want some walnuts added to the mix. After lunch I headed down to the basement area to work on a new picnic table. We've had the same table for nearly 15 years and after many repairs each year it has finally rotted to where it's not safe anymore; so I copied the design and spent the better part of the afternoon making a new table from lots of scrap lumber. I want to paint it thoroughly before putting the top on and bringing it up to the deck. Well that kept me busy right up to supper time. I grille several chicken legs and Nancy sautéed up some yellow squash with onions to go along with a baked potato loaded with herbs and sour cream, yeow was that ever some good eatin'.

Nancy started the Radon Gas test for the cabin which requires the windows and doors be closed for 72 hours so the first day of being closed up makes it rather stuffy to say the least. We have the ceiling fans on which make it comfortable but I miss the fragrance, and the birds singing and the feel of the ambiance, oh well!!! I found the Ray's vs the Red Sox on one of the ESPN channels and got to watch them beat the Sox who are number one in our division, finally our bats came to life and the pitching wasn't bad either. We lost the game the night before in extra innings when we came back from being down 6 runs; that was a tough one to lose.

We went a whole day on Tuesday without any rain during the daylight hours and the gardens are starting to dry up somewhat. I need to replant my 1/2 runner beans and a few other seeds as well. I'm hoping to set up a pickle ball match on Thursday evening with some local fellows as it stays light
until nearly 9 PM, LATER.. Here is a photo of the front of our mountain mom's cabin.

No comments: