Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday Morning

Well Saturday turned out to be a typical N.C. morning and one more reason why we came to know and love being here; cool in the 50's and sunny to start the day and by late afternoon it was in the low 70's and still sunny. We slept in until 6:30 before rolling out to start the day. It is so quiet here with just an occasional crow cawing off in the distance and the birds just love it here as well as they give us a constant concert all day long. We hear a dog bark from the neighbors once in awhile but they are far off enough it isn't bothersome to me.

After my posting, cup of tea and my quiet moments to give thanks, reflect and lift others up in thoughts and prayers we did our own breakfasts to start out. Nancy was outside on the porch doing her quiet time wrapped up in a sweat shirt and jacket so I made my smoothie then headed out to walk the property and check on the newly set out seedlings. So far despite the 3 inches of rain on this clay soil they are looking rather well. The seeds I sowed will probably rot in the ground but the rest isn't too bad. With a couple more days like today they will flourish.

Andy and Caleb came by about mid morning with 4 beautiful freshly caught Brook trout and one was still flopping. They had been out on a father/son outing and I reaped the benefit of their endeavors. That Caleb would rather fish than eat and he gets it honest from his dad as he is quite the fisherman and hunter. Many thanks to the two of them and I will savor eat bite on Monday night when I fry them up. I may share a photo or two; nothing better than fresh trout from a mountain stream. I got around to liming the yards while they were still wet from the over night rain after they left and that kept me busy until lunch time.

We had a garden salad for lunch using some kale, tomato, peppers and basil from my garden in Florida. Nancy worked outside weeding flower beds and I sowed more seeds into pots. We then decided to take our second hike to the top of the mountain and once again it looked lonely and desolate on top. We did meet up at the end of our walk across the top with Joe and Jetta. We visited for a short while before heading back down. We continued with some small chores and I transplanted some herbs into bigger pots; especially dill and cilantro. I think I will leave them in pots as I can control them a little better especially with all the rain in the forecast and then I can always set them in the ground. This is the first year my cilantro never re-seeded itself in the herb bed.

We got ready around 5 o'clock and headed out to the Woodie River House on the Little River for a catfish cookout. Folks bring covered dishes and they fry the fish in huge cookers. There were lots different folks there from Cornerstone, First Baptist, the mayor, judges, business folks and just some old time folks and of course their family and friends. We are in the last category but know many over the years in attendance. The ambiance is just awesome and the eatin' superb. We gathered around for a couple hours before heading out and stopped for a visit at our mountain mom's beautiful place as well. She has an over abundance of rabbit's as we counted at least a 1/2 dozen in one place while driving in. We had a good visit and left just before it got dark.

Well it seems the Ray's won another game over the Orioles big time. I watched a little of it before the cookout on a channel that caters to the teams in the D.C. area. They are just a couple games back of the league leaders. Today is church day at Cornerstone and we will get to renew our friendships there after being away for 7 months. We saw Pastor B at the cook out last evening and he is taking about 30 folks to New Jersey for a week of work regarding Hurricane Sandy's destruction and the on going rebuilding. That should be a grand time of work and fellowship with such dedicated folks, LATER









No comments: