Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tuesday Morning

Monday turned out to be a nice day despite the threat of rain for most of the day. It did sprinkle occasionally between periods of sunshine, the temps stayed in the low 70's but the humidity was really on the rise during the late evening as 5 of us guys played about 2 plus hours of pickle ball at the Roaring Gap Club. We were a bunch of sweaty bushed guys by the time we decided enough around 8:45. It was a great workout and we had some really good rallies, too bad we have to take a week off as Ted will be entertaining out of town guests next week.

The morning started much the usual around a 6:15 AM wake up as I could hear a lite rain on the tin roof. That didn't last long so I had my usual cup of tea, my quiet time and then after posting this ramble I heated up the 2 left over buckwheat cakes to start the juices flowing with a little real butter and honey, Yeow they tasted as good as the day Nancy baked them.

I headed out to check on the gardens and all seemed in good order with no evident damage to the plants. I still have a critter that gets into my compost pile each night, but as long as it stays in there it's fine with me. There isn't much to eat but for banana peels, egg shells and coffee grounds and vegetable stuff. I put no meat or bones in there so it isn't getting much to munch on.

I took the water hoses to the washing machine off and checked the screen that allows the water in and it was nearly blocked with silt. That was why it was taking so long for the machine to fill. I Googled the problem and I think it has an answer for everything and sure enough after taking an ice pick and opening up the mesh screen the water flows like its supposed to. I doubt this machine's screen has ever been cleaned as we bought it used. It's like a new machine despite being ancient. I transplanted some more lettuce seedlings into individual pots and the ones I transplanted a couple days ago look as if they may make. I did some more garden work through out the day turning over the lower garden by hand with a shovel and breaking up the dirt clots for the new transplants.

Nancy put a load of laundry in and then we headed out to the top of the mountain for our daily hike. We saw Zeke as we passed the Browning's and then waved at Jetta as she was out back working in her garden. We walked on through the Cahoon's place and then checked to see what progress had been done on the addition to the Leslie house. Wow are they ever doing a great addition to their already nice place with 3 floors. The views are fantastic from their side of the mountain. We headed for home and then a lunch of salad as the morning quickly passed us by.

After lunch I took off the mower blades and sharpened them as I want to mow again before the week end. We are entertaining the Dalton's, Luffman's, Karin Hearl and her friend Roger on Saturday evening and then a game of Balderdash. Should be a fun time. I helped Nancy put together the new bed upstairs in Amy's room as we get ready for her mom, sister, niece and husband next week for about a week. We piddled around doing little odd chores until it was time to grille a couple Salmon steaks, yeow they were excellent along with garlic butter pasta and fresh broccoli. After the clean up it was time to head out for pickle ball. I picked up neighbor Gerald and we headed out a little after 6. It was after 9 before we got back to the cabin and we both were starting to feel the effects of a great workout.  Lots of ibuprofen tonight.

Amy and family are on their way back from Kansas after nearly 2 weeks of family time with Tyler folks. They left early in the morning and are planning on spending a night on the road instead of driving straight through. If you have a moment keep them in your thoughts and prayers for safe travel, LATER

No comments: