Saturday, June 15, 2013

Saturday Morning

Well Friday turned out to be picture perfect with temps that were awesome as it never got much over the 70 degree mark despite the blue skies and bright sunshine. It started off at 56 degrees with a breeze that was evident most all day until late evening when it finally settled down; just in time for our pickle ball play on the outside court at the Roaring Gap Club.

We actually slept in to start the day until nearly 7:30. I had my cup of hot green tea which was steaming in the brisk air, did my quiet time after making my daily post then had a smoothie for breakfast before heading out to check on the gardens. I had to put long pants on as it was that chilly outside. The gardens looked great with no deer damage however some critter keeps digging in my compost pile where I bury my kitchen scraps such as egg shells, spud peelings, coffee grounds, etc. These scraps feed my fishin' worms which later give me some of the best compost ever called casings.

I gassed up the weed whacker and headed down to the bottom of the driveway to mow around the street sign and the drive leading up to the cabin. Our road is maintained by Gerald with his tractor who keeps it scrapped and makes sure we have enough gravel to keep the mud ruts at a minimum. I usually trim the low hanging branches by standing in the golf cart with a pair of clippers and this time with the whacker trimming off the new tender limbs that protrude into the roadway and scrap the side of your vehicle. That kept me busy for an hour or so as I just did the driveway from the bottom of the hill.

Nancy had laundry flapping in the breeze on the clothesline. She is always saying how all is well when she sees clothes on the line and of course we still do that even in Florida. I grew up on the farm where we had no indoor plumbing, no hot water heater and no clothes dryer. It was all done usually on Monday morning where I heated cold water pumped by hand at the well for the washing machine in a big black kettle outside with a fire under it and then carried the hot water to the washing machine. Our clothes were always hung out on a clothesline and then later had to be ironed by hand. There is nothing like the smell of fresh laundry dried outside.

We decided since it was so beautiful outside that we would get our hike in for the day so we took off to the top of the mountain. We only had to stop once in our back woods to catch our breath enroute to the top. That's encouraging as we slowly get our mountain legs and breathe. We saw one cabin on top with a car out front but saw no one moving about. Its such a lonely place up there with no one around all of the beautiful majestic homes and cabins with awesome views. About half of them are for sale or soon to be according to one year round resident who has their place up for sale as well. The view is beautiful of Pilot Mountain and then further to downtown Winston-Salem. The small community of Glade Creek is also visible with all of the farm land with its huge dairy. Occasionally you can get its smell when the wind shifts towards the mountain.

We did see our old friend and jack of all trades Dean Todd who was finishing the gutters on the Browning's resident. Dean is possibly the nicest feller you ever met and he is always there for those who need work done.  He did some work for me when we put down our wood flooring years ago and he is Ray Todd's brother who built our cabin. We had a salad for lunch then I headed out to transplant some Cosmo seedlings when I noticed a 3 ft or so black snake where I do my transplant work under the back porch area. He was trying his best to get to a birds nest that had been built under the porch on the satellite wire that runs into the house. Nancy got some pictures and then finally he gave up especially after I moved a bench which got him with a foot or so of his goal. He pay me no mind as he went about his business of securing some lunch as well.

We picked up Helen and headed over to her brother Joe's place. He likes to bake and is quite good at it as well as he makes the best pound cake from scratch you will ever eat. We framed around outside looking at the 3 or 4 acres he mows weekly and his flower and vegetable gardens. Joe is a fantastic gardener as week as a person. He loves to entertain and sets a fine table as well with cloth napkins and china. The cake and ice cream hit the spot for an afternoon pick me up. We dug up some seedlings that looked like Larkspur that he was trying to eradicate from his Lily beds then we headed back to Helen's.

I drilled some deep holes in a stump that wasn't dead enough to be removed by hand and then poured some stump killer into the holes which should help with getting rid of it. I then put her window air condition in for her before heading back to the cabin. We decided since I had a 6:30 pickle ball match we would eat around 5 o'clock. Nancy microwaved a couple spuds and with left over chops from the other night to go along with a can of sweet peas and we called it supper. Wow did that ever hit the spot with the fresh herbs and cayenne pepper on the spuds.

I picked up neighbor Gerald and we headed out for some great exercise on the pickle ball court. We initially had just the 3 of us which made for some good play but when our 4th player showed we had even more good play and some very nice rallies. After about 2 hours and with darkness approaching we decided to call it a night as this was the first for these guys in over a year.  








We made a date to do it again on Monday or Tuesday depending on the weather forecast in the late evening. We even have lights on the court so time isn't a factor except for Ted and Craig who still work whereas Gerald and I are retired,

No comments: