Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Morning

Well this week has just flown by and Thursday was no exception as we started the day around a 6:30 wake up. Nancy managed to stay horizontal for another 30 minutes but once I'm awake I have a thousand things running through my mind that I want to get accomplished. After a cup of hot green tea with cinnamon, a few quiet moments to reflect, give thanks and pray for those who are in some kind of need and then the posting of this ramble I headed out for a quick check of the yards and gardens. We decided on a mountain breakfast of buckwheat cakes with a banana in the batter and some fresh eggs, yeow what fine eatin especially with real butter and honey on top.

After breakfast I once more headed out to work down below with my plants in the lower garden as I wanted to side dress the sweet taters and cabbage with a little organic chicken manure; boy does it ever smell at first but after a couple days its not noticeable. I noticed new growth on both so that's a good sign as I have them in the garden which gets the least amount of direct sunlight. I turned over another strip of the ground with a shovel and broke the clods of soil so it will be ready for some lettuce seedlings in a week or so. I then headed out to various areas of the garden and flower beds to transplant some 20 plus Zinnias plants.

I staked my tomato plants and noticed real growth there as well. I even have one turning red from the transplants from Florida. I loosened up the soil around them as well as this clay ground gets as hard as concrete when it dries out. I've been using a little spaghnum moss in an around the transplants which helps with keeping the soil from hardening. I'm picking cayenne peppers now and took a couple with me when we went out for supper later in the evening after dropping a twin bed off at the local thrift store in Sparta. We picked up a full size bed from a neighbor and exchanged the twin bed and donated it. We met up with Helen, Joe and their youngest sister Martha at the Pines Restaurant around 4:30. I think we all had catfish which was excellent eatin' and I sliced my cayenne peppers in the pintos that came with the meal. That got a laugh from all and reminded them of an old friend who did the same many tears ago.

It rained while we were in town and really dropped the temps from the low 80's to the low 60's in no time. Nancy even wore a sweat shirt when we got back to the cabin and on our hike to the top. We saw no one except Zeke the Browning's friendly pooch on our trek across the mountain. The smells are just fantastic with the wild roses and black berry bushes in full bloom. It was such a pleasant evening I stayed outside wondering around in the yards and gardens until nearly dark. Nancy found the Ray's game on the tube and they were getting blown away by some prior teammates who were traded to the Royals in Kansas City. It was so bad I couldn't watch it any longer so I headed for the shower and then curled up with a good book, LATER

No comments: