Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Monday-Labor Day

Well the morning started out the usual with dueling roosters around 6 AM so I rolled over and tried to sleep in but for some reason I was wide awake and raring to go. After a cup of hot green tea I did my quiet time and checked the Internet before succumbing to a bowl of oatmeal with some fruit for breakfast. The morning was without rain although the yards were still draining (after 3 days) from the rain of last week.

I fired up the mower and got both front and back mowed in no time so I decided to turn over my gardens. The west garden was in the shade of the oak tree so I got started and by the time I finished with it my shirt was dripping sweat from the humidity but it suddenly clouded up and looked like rain. I then decided since it was cloudy to turn the east garden over. I had spread about 15 bags of oak leaves on top when we left in May and the sun, rain and bugs had reduced the leaves down; now remember I'm turning these gardens over with a hand shovel and of course there are no rocks and its sandy soil so it wasn't necessarily difficult but still it was work. The leaves break down and create a great black substance(humis) for the vegetable plants that I will sow in November.

I finished up about 11:30 and wrung out my shirt it was that humid. I spent the rest of the day chilling catching up on US Open tennis, Ray's baseball and a little college football in between and some reads. We headed over to Tyler and Amy's around 4:30 with a large salad, 40 jalapeno poppers and some other goodies for a Labor Day get together. Pap wasn't doing well so we brought them a platter of goodies to their house; seems his foot and leg has swollen again and he is in pain as well so he has difficulty in walking so it looks like a trip to the doctors once again today. Nancy had runout earlier for some Tylenol as he was in that much pain.

Betsy and Braden came to the supper and they were thrilled at the poppers; boy they are good but not sure if good for you; bacon and cream cheese and salsa and chips. We had a feast of burgers on the grill, Greek potato salad on top of regular salad smothered in Greek dressing. Yikes what a feed that was and no mountain to climb. We even had peanut butter frozen pie and some mocha pie for dessert, yikes I tasted a sliver of both and was awake all night from the caffeine and sugar. Oh well I will know better next time.

I was awaken this morning(Tuesday) with what sounded like a tornado going through the hood; the rain was torrential, with wind, lightening and thunder. Yikes it lasted for an hour or longer, no drought in Florida this year.LATER

No comments: