Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday






Well the morning was a cool one with a temp of 49 on top of the mountain. When we checked at 8:30 it was 54 on the back porch. It sure feels like fall has suddenly dropped in. While there was lots of sunshine to start the day it became cloudy with dark rain looking clouds all day.

After our quiet times we both ate Cherrios with fruit for breakfast. After eating, I pitted 4 pounds of muscadine grapes also know as Fox and Scuppernong grapes. Well it was time for our morning hike so we headed for the top of the mountain. Every one including Nancy were bundled up in long pants and long sleeve shirts. This weather is perfect for outside work especially since the cold kept all the biting insects away. When we got back from our hike we had a salad then I warmed up the chainsaw.

There was a hugh oak tree that died last year in the back yard so it was time to saw it down and then work it up for firewood for our neighbor Ray. I spent the next 4 hours sawing, splitting and hauling the split wood over to Rays and stack in his wood house. Nancy helped me haul and stack 4 loads before she became burned out,no pun intended. I continued to saw, split and pile up the wood to be hauled another day. My muscles are aching as it takes different muscles to swing that 15 pound slege into steel wedges.Pickle ball is so much easier but I really love the physical work of running a chain saw.

Nancy called to me around 4:30 that it was time to quit and get ready for supper. She made chicken and dumplings with brocolli and peas and home grown mashed potato's. That was an awesome comfort food dinner and dessert was a couple biscuits with butter and raspberry jam. After eating we just sat for awhile relishing that superb taste. I washed and she dried so it didn't take too long to clean up. We then just walked around outside looking at the flowers, gardens and just looking at what we had accomplished today.It started getting dark so I headed to the basement to sharpen the chain saw as I had more sawing to do to finish that tree another day and to eventually take the stump out.

Well I can hardly keep my eyes open as I write this post as that slege hammer whupped me. LATER

No comments: