Sunday, September 6, 2009

Saturday on Sunday Morning

The morning started out with me up and getting that pork butt in the smoker at 7 AM. I had it stoked full of Hickory wood and nuts. I keep it smoking until around 5 PM when the bone just pulled out of the meat. After getting that going we did our quiet times and had cereal with banana & blue berries for breakfast. The sun was shining with blue skies and a heavy dew. Yeow I just love these mountain mornings with temps in the 50's. We were having the ole' gang over for a get together around 6:30. Nancy was cleaning the cabin and I was doing a little garden and yard work. We finally got our hike in to the top around 10AM and met up with several week enders. They all were going to or doing their cook outs as well. We had a good hike and got back to the cabin just in time for lunch which was the left over tortilla soup from Friday night. Man is that good eatin' and good fer' ya'.

I loaded the smoker up again with another batch of Hickory wood and nuts. We got a call from up on top that heavy smoke could be seen down below our way and right away I surmised they could see my smoker smoke; but no way was my smoke that heavy. Any way to make a short story long the neighbor who just had his timber cut had started to burn the piled up brush and it got away from him.So he did the right thing and called the fire department. I understood several units responded and sprayed down the area as well as a bulldozer had to be used to keep the fire from a nearby wooded area. Yikes that is close to being catastrophic for us land owners with homes.

I managed to sneak in a little U.S.Open Tennis and saw this young American 17 year old Melanie Oldin upset for champion Maria Sharipova in 3 sets. GREAT PLAY!!! I also saw a little of BYU upset #3 Oklahoma,wow what a day for college football. My Rays fell flat again after leading big in the early innings. I think you might as well stick a fork in them as they are done for this year. Oh well they are a Cinderella Team and it was great last year they went and nearly won the whole thing.

In between smokers and sports I managed to fertilize my non producing blue berry bushes, repot 3 inpatients plants that had become root bound and separate some mustard seedlings. I love fresh mustard greens and only hope these make before heading to Florida in November. We got a short shower for about 1/2 an hour which settled the dust and hopefully helped in damping the area out by the woods fire. I can just see a fire like the ones the California folks are experiencing.

Our guest began arriving and we chowed down on; potato salad, Cole slaw, deviled eggs, tomato pie, sliced tomato's, green beans and of course pulled pork. Nancy's gotta be the "ugliest cake she has ever made" but tastes the same, chocolate with chocolate icing was the dessert. Great evening with the guys pulling out a come from behind win at 5- 4 in Sequence, again. We decided to call it a night around 9:30.

Today, Sunday should be a great day again as we will worship corporately(a bunch of people gathered) at Cornerstone and then head over to a small creek where we hold our dunking(baptizing) in the cold water. We are then expecting company once again this evening for a weenie roast and then more Sequence with the Dalton Gang. Should be a another fun day. I think we are free so far on Monday.
Well better close as its near time to get ready to head out to church. We were glad to hear Amt, Ty and Ava made it safely to Kansas for their week long vacation with Ty's family. Hey to all there!!! LATER

No comments: