Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday











What an unbelievable beautiful day except it did feel a bit like a summer. The temps were in the low 80's with a little bit of humidity or I was just working and playing too hard as I had 2 wet shirts today. I will explain! This morning we were up early, 7:30; well that is a change since last week we were sleeping in until 8:30 or so. After our quiet times we had a super breakfast of homegrown 'taters and 'maters with a couple free range brown eggs. There is something for me about the combined taste of 'maters with eggs. I love that taste just like I love the taste of onions and peanut butter together on a sandwich. Sorry as I digress oh where was I, yes the beauty of this day. The blue Carolina skies and bright sunshine just filled me with the such energy and thankfulness that we could share this ambiance with all who read my ramblings.

After that sumptuous breakfast I was ready for the morning. I got 2 loads of laundry out for Nancy on the clothesline,while she put together a cheesecake for tomorrow's company. It's hard to describe the smell from hanging clothes in the fresh morning air with the bright sunshine drying them slowly. YIKES does that take me back to my childhood of growing up in the country where there was no such thing as a clothes dryer other than the real thing, the sun.

We headed for the top of the mountain just before noon and made it all the way with just one "catch your breath stop." The top was beautiful and clear with Pilot Mountain clear as a bell at 70 miles away. WOW is all I can say, such a beautiful day. We got back around 1 PM and Nancy rustled up some meatloaf sandwiches with mayo, 'maters and onions with lettuce. What a lunch!! After eating I decided to dig up the 'taters in my patch and low and behold 90% of the 'taters had rotted due to all the rain we had the past 7 days. I wanted to cry but I did find about 6-7 pounds that were ok. The rest had rotted below the ground. I would say about 50 pounds worth. Oh well I learned from this experience. When the vines die dig the spuds out of the ground. It was my fault as I procrastinated but the 5 inches of rain this past week was too much and helped in the rotting process. I had such beautiful Kennebec spuds, some as much as 1/2 pound each.

After the potato dig it was close to the time for heading out to Roaring Gap to the pickle ball court. I picked up Ted around 4 PM and we headed out for some great singles. My shirt was soaked by the time Craig and LeAnn arrived for doubles. Wow did we ever have some spirited play. The points were fast and furious with some 8 and 10 ball rallies. That is so much fun and so good for your cardio workout. LeAnn and myself took Ted and Craig in the best of 7 sets with a score of 4 to 3. We had to come from behind at a 3-1 deficit to win. After 3+ hours of play my shirt, shorts and others were soaking wet from sweat. What great fun and exercise. Check out pickle ball. Its similar to tennis, racket ball and ping pong. Its so much easier on you than tennis and tons of fun with lots of rally's.

Well Nancy had a pot of 1/2 runner beans(homegrown) boiled with freshly dug spuds boiled with smoked ham for supper. Man was that ever good eatin'. Well will close for now. Someone mentioned why do I write this daily blog. Well here is the reason. I want our grand kids to see Nancy and I as we really are in our daily lives. The work, play and just our love for each other as we share these places where we live in Florida and North Carolina. I want them to experience each place; the beauty of the land and those folks we have grown to love in each area. LATER..

No comments: