Saturday, September 26, 2009

Friday on Saturday Morning

The morning started out with a little rain and a lite fog but cleared up enough to where we could take our daily hike to the top after our quiet time and a breakfast of buckwheat hotcakes. Those cakes were loaded with blueberries and a banana in the batter and then I loaded on the Amish Butter and a coating of honey. I needed to eat good as I had worked up a real good sweat waiting for Nancy so we could head out on our hike. I was using the mattock(grubbing hoe) digging up the upper gardens. It's the new rotor tiller called 2 arms and a strong back. I like to replicate how the ole' timers did it before all this new machinery. Anyhow I find it a way to work out plus I get to know the soil and I can remove any rocks and roots.

Our hike to the top was uneventful. I had to take a breath break as that mattock had me puffing as well as the heavy work boots I wear when gardening. Nancy and I usually make it all the way to the towers on top with only an occasional slight breath break. That's a sure sign we are staying in shape. We met up with our senior buddy Norman as we walked across the top of the ridge. He told us he had received some bad news regarding his health. The doctors think he may have prostrate cancer. He is 82 and seems in good health while his wife Betty has real breathing problems. Norman takes total care of her as she can barely get around. Keep both Norman and Betty in your thoughts and prayers.

After our hike we had the rest of the meat loaf on a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo. Yeow is that ever a tasty combination. I continued to rotor till the lower garden as I had noticed some roots that managed to sneak into my 'tater patch. After digging them out as well as a few rocks I had the lower garden ready for my winter planting before heading back to Florida in November. I have room for about 60 plus hills of spuds when I plant. I would stop briefly and savor the smell of Nancy's spaghetti sauce she was preparing for supper. I had picked oregano, basil and parsley earlier and wow the aroma as it she prepared the sauce was drifting out to the lower garden. Yummm!!

Well around 4 PM I called it a day and decided to put the rotor tiller in the basement shower as she had cleaned, vacuumed and had the upstairs ready for our company which was to arrive at 5. Around the time I called it a day the clouds took over and fog began to roll in and up the side of the mountain. For a moment I thought I was back in the San Francisco Bay area. I can remember the west coast of California, Oregon and Washington getting socked in with such heavy fog nothing moved. I flew out of a base in Fairfield that was about 50 miles north of 'Frisco and this fog reminded me of that type of fog,as a matter of fact this weather pattern we are in is much like the weather we were accustomed to during the winter months on the west coast. I once saw it rain for a solid week 24/7 and the town of Suisun(where I lived) and the surrounding areas where under water. I think there are droughts now in California with all the wild fires and we are getting all of their rain.

Our company; Clare, Clarence, John and Sandy arrived a little late after calling and saying they missed the roadway due to fog and rain. What miserable weather to have first time guests visit our humble cabin. The fog was so bad we were unable to see our gardens and flower beds, however we had great fun eating and playing "chicken foot domino's." Nancy's sauce was great as well as the salad with Greek Dressing and garlic bread. We played games for about an hour before eating our dessert of homemade cheese cake(original) with red raspberries and whipped cream on top. YUMMM!.A quick note about the cheese cake preparation; while beginning to blend all the ingredients the mixer suddenly broke, so naturally Nancy panicked as we are miles from town.I checked out the mixer an determined one of the beaters still turned. Well you guessed it I had to hold the mixer while turning and beating the mixture while Nancy used a spatula. Teamwork and wouldn't you know it, the cake never cracked. I told her it was because we only used one beater so there was less chance of air getting into the batter and cracking the cake while cooling. Our guests thought it was the best they had ever eaten.

Well the girls won the first game as we played gals vs guys by combining the scores and the guys won the second game. It was going on 11 PM by the time we said our good nights. The rain fell all evening as evident by the sound on the tin roof. The temps were starting to drop as they left for home. This morning found us with 52 degrees, still raining and lots of fog. We had no plans for this evening but shortly after a breakfast of fried spuds, eggs and sliced 'maters with jalapeno and toast smothered in homemade rhubarb jam blended with strawberry and pineapple( thanks Clare for that tasty jam) we got an invite out to the Luffman's for chili and Sequence.

As I write this post it is pouring rain much like the hard rains we get in Florida. Well will close for now and will update all on the out come of this slug fest tonight between the guys and gals. LATER..

No comments: