Sunday, September 14, 2008

Warm and Humid,Mowed and Bull Riding






Well this morning(Sat.) was a warm and humid morning with temp's in the 60's. The dew was dripping off the roof almost like a drizzle however the beautiful sun was shining and the Carolina blue skies were clear. After our quiet time we ate cereal with banana's and peach. I did a walk around the gardens and discovered my 1/2 runner beans are blooming again and I had enough for good mess that needed picking. I didn't notice any fresh deer tracks of damage. The fire's I had on Friday were still smoldering in some of the old rotten stumps so I took a pitchfork and remove them from the ashes so they would die out(Nancy was going to wash clothes and hang them out on the clothes line, so she didn't want any smoke smell on the clothes).


The grass was still very wet from the heavy dew so I grab the weed whacker and edged everything for about an hour while Nancy took off for the top of the mountain. It was warming up fast and already I had a wet shirt. I then picked a bucket of beans and weeded in the garden while waiting for the sun to dry out the grass enough to mow.


After a lite lunch of celery and apple with peanut butter I cranked up the new riding mowing machine. I'm starting to get use to riding and how much easier it is to mow on these hills while sitting down(thanks again Mike and Dee). Meanwhile Ray, neighbor came by for a visit so we sat on the front porch when our neighbor, Gerald walked up. He looked like a "mud puppy" and wanted us to take a picture of him for Jodie, who is still back in Raleigh. The picture was a show and tell for her from Gerald as to his "what do you do when your in the mountains" from her. Well the picture cleared that up or did I hear swamp buggy start up down below?


Well we had an early supper; grilled pork chops, baked spuds, carrots and cucumber and onion salad. YUMMM!After washing the dishes,getting the clothes in and getting cleaned up we took off for Mt.Airy, N.C. It's about 45 miles down off the mountain and was it ever HOT there with 87 degrees at 6:30 PM. The views from the BRP were breath taking.


We arrived at the Bull Riding Arena and what a production. The arena is part of a circuit that includes several states that participate in this exciting, thrilling and very dangerous sport. These riders are all in the late teens and early 20's and from here they go to the big money with T.V. exposure. Let me assure you this is a first class arena with big bulls and every much as exciting and dangerous as I've ever seen on T.V. I believe a couple of the bulls have been on the Pro Riders Circuit.


The main reason we went was to see our friend and little buddy, Caleb Dalton do his mutton busting. That for kids up to 8 years of age who like the bull riders ride on their backs and are judges by how well and how long they stay on the backs of the sheep. Caleb didn't do as well this time but he did win the dance contest and carried home a 26 in 21 speed red mountain bike. Congratulations Caleb!!!!


Well I'm writing this Sunday morning so will close for now. Later , missing all especially our grand babies Ava and Annsley.

1 comment:

farmrgurl said...

Thanks for coming to the bull riding! We were happy to share in Caleb's moment with you. Dominoes-I hear them calling!