Saturday, May 31, 2008

Handing out food and planting annuals


Well we started early this morning and met 12 to 15 people at Cornerstone Fellowship to unload a trailer loaded with all kinds of food. There were stables,fresh veggies(not many), frozen meat of all kinds. It a program our church started to assist the less fortunate as an outreach ministry but the neat thing is anyone can benefit from the great buys. For 3o bucks you an get nearly 75 bucks worth of food. What a savings but you are limited to what the program has to offer for that particular month. Anyhow Nancy and I gave about 2 1/2 hours out of our time to assist and serve our fellow man. The rest of the day was spent on gardening, hiking and putting together my first batch of wine. This maybe my only chance at this hobby. Let me explain. I read all the directions, sterilized and sanitized all of the many utensil's for wine making. When I went to open the grape concentrate(this no ordinary juice) which is shipped in a bladder,I could not get the top or stopper out. I tugged and twisted so hard I torn the neck of the plastic bladder. Now this stuff costs 75 bucks so I don't want to waste or spill the juice. So I yelled for Nancy to bring a knife to cut the neck off so I could pour the juice into the fermenter. Well Nancy said put the fermenter(7 gal plastic bucket) into the sink. I pick the bladder up holding the neck so it would not leak as Nancy put the bucket into the sink. As I began to pour,this bladder weighs about 20-25 pounds and the weigh shifts as there is no rigidity to bladder, well everything came forward slamming into the fermenter(bucket). Grape juice slashed out onto the walls, stove , sink. clothing, floor and you name it. Well I loss a bunch of juice and I may have compromised the solution by the bladder touching the mixture. Anyhow I said what the heck and continued on with the mixture by using less water than called for because of the juice lost. In 2 weeks I will probably know if its a total failure. Oh well I realized afterwards I should have left the bladder in the box to give it some support. If there is a next time I will be better prepared. But to think I messed this up because I couldn't open the container. How elementary. Later to all missing my babies and grand babies.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I'll bet Nancy loooooved cleaning up all that DARK pre-wine. Oh my! Try again. It is a learning experience.