Friday, May 30, 2008

We took a side trip today



Amazing weather is all I can say. 50's this AM and 70's this afternoon. Nancy and I took our good friends Helen and Joe with us as we ventured over Laurel Springs to Thistle Meadow Winery. I received a wine making equipment kit for Christmas last year so I thought now is the time to step into another hobby. Well I purchased a Merlot juice concentrate which has everything in it for my first experience. Tomorrow I will have a go of it. This winery used to have barn dances on the weekends but now is a picturesque place for weddings,etc. I got to speak with their winemaker, Paul for about an hour and he was very helpful and stressed if I ran into a problem to call him. It seems these concentrate kits are like a numbered puzzle. Hopefully I can connect the dots and make some drinkable Merlot wine. Anyway this kit makes about 30 bottles so I will have lots to give away(if it not so good) and some too sip on later. We then headed on a road none of us have ever travelled on before and found a beautiful new arts and craft gallery. Its been open for 3 weeks and the couple who own it moved back to Allegheny County after living in Winston-Salem for most of their adult life. The store is in the middle of 85 acres of Frasier Firs(Christmas trees) and their dream is to add their own wine sales and tasting and possibly a restaurant. Joe makes jewelry and Melia makes all kinds of crafts,knitted hats and old fashion candle holders out of chestnut wood that was her great grandfathers. They were very nice and pleasant and we invited them to worship with us at Cornerstone on Sunday. One group picture of us are in the middle of their tree farm and the other picture of me is from the drive of their house looking down onto their shop. After leaving there we visited a plant nursery and later went to local restaurant called Brown's. The owners and cooks are black which to my knowlege is the only black owned business in the town of Sparta. The food is quite good and plentiful. All had fish except me I had a salad with grilled chicken. We came back and Nancy and I tag teamed mowing our large yard which has lots of hills. It has to be mowed sideways as its very steep. We then put out lime(sweetens the soil) and decided to make one last look around the gardens. I forgot to mention Nancy planted annuals and I put out 2 rows of mustard greens(after turning over the earth with a shovel) after we came home. We just never have enough time in a day to accomplish all. Will sign off missing our babies and grandbabies.

No comments: