Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Finally back on-line and in the mountains

Nancy and I arrived on Sat. around 3 PM: after a very smooth trip with no traffic(Memorial Day week-end). We left at 4 AM with the temp at 80 degrees and humidity at almost wet to arrive with the temp at 72 degrees, a gentle breeze and Nancy putting a jacket on. The air was so crisp and clean. Air that had never been breathed before. WOW!!! is all I can say. I must say after leaving our cabin 8 months ago it was in very good shape. There were a few dead flies in the window sills but no musty odor and very little dust. When I turned the water on there were a few dried out seats in the spigots but after a little water saturation they once gain did their job with no leaks. The outside was a different story; 3 tree tops in the yard from the high winds one of which gave me a nasty scratch to the back of my leg(I was in shorts, not to smart). The grass was haymaking height, however one of our friends was driving to our place as we arrived with his big mower. Eddie took care of most of the high grass in short order. What are friends for? THANKS EDDIE. Nancy and I spent the rest of the day and evening unloading and visiting with neighbors as they dropped by to wish us"welcome back." I had been without sleep for at least 48 hours(keyed up like a little boy about to fishing) and wouldn't you know it I had trouble falling asleep that night as well. Sunday morning came with the temp at 38 degrees and it warmed up to the 70's, it was beautiful with the deep Carolina blue skies. We went to Cornerstone Fellowship for worship and got to see the new completed building which was started last summer. VERY Nice and lots of finished work done by the members. There were hugs and smiles everywhere. After worship we stopped at Lowes and Hawks for some supplies and settled down to whipping this place into shape. Nancy worked on weeding the flower beds and I began to till the veggie gardens(with a shovel). Thanks to all the hard work playing pickleball I was in rather good shape. I chain sawed the 3 tree tops and moved that brush to a pile for burning which later began a fire for cooking a pot of dried beans over the open fire. Boy where they good and gassy. Sunday night was a little better sleeping, however I was awake at 5 AM and in the garden again at 6:30 where I plowed(with a shovel) enough space and planted 55 hills of potatoes that our good friend Odell Wright brought by. What friends!!

No comments: