Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day get together/shopping in Galax,Va.



On Monday at about 6:30 AM, I'm in the garden with a shovel and pitchfork trying to loosen up this hard packed soil to plant my garden. I managed to set out 9 tomato plants, 4 Zucchini and 4 yellow squash plants. I then sowed 4 row of half-runner green beans(possibly the best tasting bean I've ever eaten) and several onion sets as well as jalapeno peppers, basil and rosemary plants. Nancy worked in her flower gardens and in setting up the house as well as taking a long hike with our neighbors, Jodie and Gabriel. The weather was great and in the low 70's for a high. About 2 PM we knocked off and headed over to our friend, Joe Sheetz for a cook out. Joe is a retired Baptist preacher and a widower, as he loss his wife Dot several years ago. Joe is also the older brother to Helen Gray(our adoptive mountain mother)who also loss her husband and our dear friend, Roy. Roy was responsible for showing us the land we now own and for our moving here in the summertime. Joe always has an immaculate house keeper and uses fine china when he entertains. Well, he fixed New York strips, baked spuds and a salad as well a pound cake(in the oven by 5:30AM) and ice cream. Joe also invited Odell and Irene Wright both long time natives of Allegheny County. We had a pleasant visit but could hardly move after such a sumptuous feed. We did manage to take a hike just before dark. Needless to say we missed our KC as she loved those hikes to the top of the mountain. Sleep came a little easier Monday night as I cleared up many of the chores that I usually labor with in my sleep. Tuesday morning I'm wide awake at 5:30 AM and I'm in my garden at 6:30 AM, trying to get the ground really to plant potato's Odell had given me the day before. (What a friend). Last fall Odell loaded me up with a bushel or more of good Kinnebec potato's. YUMMMM we shared those with all our Florida friends and family. Tuesday we took a trip to Galax,Va. where we stocked up on supplies at a Super Wal-Mart for groceries and at Lowes for fertilizer and lime. We managed to fertilizer and lime the new grass before dark as well as finish mowing the "new area"(just cleared this off 2 years ago). We are just thrilled to be back on line with all and with the soft rain that began about 10AM this morning. Nancy is working out with her new hand vacuum(getting all those fuzz balls from under the bed)and making the most of this rainy, foggy day. Well will go for now but before go I must share with you all how small this world really is. Well, a customer came in to Helen Grays nephew's store in Tennessee. This customer turned to be an former deputy sheriff in Pinellas County, Fl anyhow as they were talking the nephew(who I had never met) mentioned his aunt(Helen Gray) had a good friend who was a retired trooper from Pinellas County. Long story short she called me and asked if I recalled the name Wally Mc Clarren. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I remembered this name. Well he gave the nephew his phone numbers for me to contact him in Tennessee. Sure enough I spoke with him and he remembers me vividly as he shared a story where I had stopped him while he was working undercover for the sheriff. Now isn't that neat as its been over 25 years ago since he left the department. Will go for now missing my babies and grand babies. The pics are from a year ago but is applicable today.

No comments: