Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday

Well today was a rather boring day as it was mainly a work day after a 7 am wake up. It was 59 this morning with a nice gentle breeze and some high clouds. It stayed pretty much that way most of the day. The hottest temp was right at 80 around 4 PM. After our quiet times Nancy made buckwheat cakes with blue berries and a banana in batter along with a couple cackle berries on top of the cakes. After eating I headed out to check on the gardens and to do a little weeding and hand watering. Nancy hung a load of laundry outside and the conditions were perfect for outside drying on the clotherline.

I then decided to give the outhouse tin roof a second coat of aluminum paint which hopefully will protect that building for many years to come. After that paint job I did a few little jobs before we decided to get in our daily hike. Nancy's heel is still too tender to wear boots so I took the golf cart up to the Browning's driveway then we decided to walk on the more level areas along the top of the mountain. We stopped off and visited with Norm and I checked on the corn patch. Norm looked really good and said he was feeling better. A few of the corn stalks are getting ready to tassel but still need a little more height. After our visit we continued on the hike and ended back at the Browning's where I tied up a tomato that had blown over. I picked 4-5 of their cukes as they are really producing as are my own cucumber plants.

We headed back down the mountain to the cabin and decided since it was going on 1 PM we would have a salad for lunch. Nancy tuned into the equestrian events while she ate and after eating I headed out to refurbish one of the fire circle benches. Well that job became more involved than I first thought as several pieces of the bench needed replacing and painted. After that job we headed out to the mail box to get the mail then made a quick trip back as we needed to once again to rehang the flag. The wind does a number on the flag as it causes the bracket screws to loosen from the board I have it anchored to.

After that job I fixed the garden gate and then decided to take a break and tune in to the Olympics until supper time. Nancy snapped a nice mess of 1/2 runners as well as scrubbed some new potato. Wow is that ever a nice meal along with some fresh cucumbers and sliced ripe tomato's. We ate healthy today and hopefully lost a couple ounces as well. After supper and the clean up I headed out to carry water to the middle and lower gardens from my rain barrel as well as pulled a few weeds. I have a ton of Zinnias in the lower garden that I grew from seed and they are starting to head up as well as a few are flowering. They are one of my favorite flowers and very hardy as well.

We stayed outside until the games once again started in London and in the distant we heard a little thunder. We could use a nice shower as its been several days since our last measurable rain. I see on the news where the mid west is once again Hot and Dry as well. Amy and her family is in Kansas with Tyler's folks where the temp's are very high. We spoke with Bobby, GG and Betsy today as they all checked in with us. All is well there except with Bobby's computer that went on the blink, so he had to send it off to the manufacturer for repairs.Well that's about it for today as we are going to chill in front of the tube and watch these games, LATER   

No comments: